Recipe of Stuffed Bitter Gourds aka Karela
Bitter gourd or bitter melon also knows as karela has many health benefits. It is bitter in taste as the name suggests but highly nutritious and beneficial in many ways. According to some studies consuming bitter gourd daily can help the diabetics manage their blood sugar levels.
Some Key Benefits of Bitter Gourd/Bitter Melon.
- The Top 10 Health Benefits of Bitter Melons (Karela, Ampalaya)
What makes a bitter melon so special and how can it help with cancer, diabetes, and AIDS/HIV? It can help with much more but some are much more important in today's world with all the diseases that are raging through, and some possibly soon to be dis
- 6 Bitter Gourds, Pick the relatively bulky ones which are good for stuffing.
- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 1 tsp All spice powder or garam masala
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 onion, small
- 1 Tomato, Large
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, Optional
- 2 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 1Tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Peel the bitter gourd (other name Karela) to remove some of the bumpy skin.
- cut open the belly of the fruit and remove the seeds with a spoon. Be careful not to rip open too much.
- In a pot heat 2 tbsp of oil and cook chopped onions till light brown now add chopped tomatoes and cumin seeds along ground beef and salt to taste.stir fry for few minutes and then add half cup of water and let it cook on medium heat for until the water dries up now stir fry the ground beef again.
- when oil starts to separate from ground beef t is perfectly done. If not stir fry for another minute or so and turn off the stove and let it sit to cool down.
- when it cools down stuff the bitter gourds with the help of a spoon.
- For cooking in pan heat a tbsp of oil in a shallow pan. wrap thread around stuffed gourds to prevent leakage and fry the gourds till light brown on all sides. The three will not burn and it will keep the gourds shut. You can also sew the open ends of the gourds with a needle and thread. Make sure to put the needle away before starting to cook.
- Or wrap them individually in aluminum foil and put them on a baking sheet and cook in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or more on 280-300 F
- Another way is to spread them on a baking sheets and cook them in preheated oven at 280-300 degree until nicely cooked and light brown.
- If pan cooked remove the threads before serving. If cooking in oven remove the foil and serve hot with chapati/ flat bread or bread of any kind.
Bitter melon is a very popular vegetable that grows in tropical regions. Taken in the form of juice, as pickle & recipes, bitter melon benefits in many ways. Read to know them.
For those who cannot tolerate the bitterness of this miracle vegetable,try this instead to get the benefits.
© 2015 Ash