- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Bear N Mom Recipes - Cookies - Sour Cream Date Drops
When I was a child, my mother had a pantry off the kitchen. This room tended to stay colder than the rest of the house because it had a double window that was not insulated. This is where she kept her baking supplies for cookies and where she stored her cookies for the holidays.
I wont say I was a bad child, but I was mischievous. I waited all year for the holiday baking season to come around because that was when my Mom had the most goodies hidden in the pantry. I loved dates and would raid her supply every year. What difference would one or two dates make to a recipe.
- 1/2 cup shortening, I used margarine
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-2/3 cups pitted dates, cut up
- 2-2/3 cups chopped walnuts, optional
- Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream to creamed mixture.
- Stir in dates and nuts.
- drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. (I line mine with parchment paper.)
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. I have insulated cookie sheets so mine take 12 minutes for each batch.
Tips and Comments on Recipe
This rich cookie lends a different taste to your cookie tray. Dates are a natural sweetener as well as a natural agent to keep cookies soft when one is placed in the sealed container.