- Food and Cooking
Recipe for Snacks-Homemade Potato Finger Chips
French Fries or chips, fries, finger chips or French fried Potatoes are short sticks of deep fried potato. French fries are served hot and generally eaten as accompaniment with lunch or dinner or eaten as a snack. French Fries which are commonly considered as a fast food are generally salted and in their simplest and most common form are served with ketchup.
It is believed that fries originated in Belgium and the on-going debate between the French and Belgium, about the invention of French fries is highly controversial with both countries claiming the ownership. The term “French’ was introduced when British and American soldier arrived in Belgium during World War 1 and tasted Belgian fries, they called them ‘French’ to differentiate it from their type of preparation believing that they are in France. At this time the term French Fries was very popular in Northern part of Belgium.
The other encountering story holds that French fries were invented by street vendors on the Fort Neuf Bridge in Paris in 1789,just before the outbreak of French revolution
- 500kg potato
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- required amount salt
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 500ml oil
Potato Finger Chips
- Peel the potatoes.Cut the potatoes into thin vertical strips measuring 4in long and 1cm wide.
- Cook them for 8 minutes with required amount of salt in the water.
- Drain the water from the vessel and pass it under the cold water for a few minutes and leave it to get cooled.
- Heat the oil in a pan.Keep it in a medium flame,now dust the cooled potato pieces in cornflour and fry it until it becomes crisp and golden brown.
- Remove them in a serving bowl and sprinkle with pepper powder.
Rate my recipe
- 8000BC- Potato first cultivated in Chile and Peru.
- 1570- Spanish explorers brought Potato to Peru.
- 1801-President Thomas Jefferson served the first "French fries" in the white house.
- 1995- The potato becomes the first vegetable grown in space.
- 2008-United Nations International year of Potato.
- 3.76kg was the weight of the world's largest Potato.
- Suspicious Europeans fed Potatoes to their animals as they associated the plant with witches and devils.
- Cooking and then cooling of Potato produces high level of resistant starch helping the body to burn 25% more fat.
Some of the variants of French Fries
Thick cut fries-The pieces are cut thick with skin left
Steak fries-The fries are fried without skin.
Curly fries-Spring like shape generally made fro whole potatoes that are cut using a specialized spiral slicer.
Sweet potato fries- fries are even made from sweet potato.
Tornado-They are made by skewering the whole potato and then cutting with a special cutting slicer.
Top seven Health benefits of Potato
Researches say that Potatoes are not only tasty additions to your diet ,but carry enormous benefits as well.They are excellent source of fiber ,vitamins and minerals that protect against fatal diseases and promote good health.
- Potatoes are good for skin
Potatoes have abundant vitamin C,B complex,Potassium,Magnesium,Zinc and Phosphorus,all are excellent vitamins and minerals for immunity and for skin.
- Improves Digestion
Promotes healthy digestion and ward off Colon Cancer.
- Helpful in treating Kidney stones.
The high amount of Magnesium can nullify the accumulation of calcium in the kidney.
- Good for Heart
Potatoes are great source of carbohydrate,protein,Calcium,Niacin,vitamins and B complex.These properties help fight heart disease and keep blood pressure at normal levels.
- Increase Brain Function.
The essential proteins,carbohydrates,and Omega 3 present in the Potatoes improves your brain activity.
- Can reduce inflammation
Vitamins C in potatoes make them great antioxidant. which repair cells in the body and they also help to relieve inflammation in the intestine and digestive track. Raw potatoes can also be mashed and applied to external burns,and inflammations.
- Mood stabilizer
The B6 in Potatoes are vital for renewing cells and regulating your mood.
|Serving size: 1 small order|
|Calories from Fat||117|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 13 g||20%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 44 g||15%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 464 mg||19%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other good recipes by cheeluarv
- Onion Samosa -How to Make Crispy Onion Samosas At Ho...
Imagine a plate full of 'Crispy Onion samosas'!!!,Won't it be a best snack to have with tea in the cold weather?.
- Recipe for spicy chicken kabab
This is my all time favurite.Easy to prepare but very tasty indeed.This can be eaten with main food as a sidedish or starter.
- Spiced Onion Rings
Onions are very good to health because of their Polyphenol and Flavonoids content.This is a simple recipe which helps you to make the popular Crispy Onion rings at home.
- Recipe for Chicken Pops
This is a easy recipe for beginners.The preparation is easy as it does not have cutting, grinding or any elaborate techniques.
- Recipe for Bread cheese balls
This recipe will be useful to deal with the left over bread slices.
- Recipe for Banana sweet Dips.
Banana sweet dip is a easy to make and healthy snack for kids.It is nutritious and good supplementary food in the evening after a tiring day.
Poll on Potato
Major producer of Potatoes
Make your meal complete with veggie Burger recipe
© 2013 cheeluarv