Recipes for Unique Types of Tartar Sauce
Tatar Sauce and Its Disguises
Gherkins, sweet pickles, or bread and butter pickles have been found in three sauces for at least 60 years: tartar sauce, Thousand Island Dressing, and Big Mac Sauce. As a child, I did not like any of the three. Dill pickles and mustard was my limit.
I was 16 before I could stomach either ketchup or pizza sauce and always wondered why my father put ketchup on everything he ate -- It was too sweet for me. I never did find out what spaghetti sauce was until I was in college; or have a pizza that was not a plain Chef Boy-Ar-Dee out of the box with only sauce and grated cheese - those were strange.
During the first years of work and in college, sauces became a realty.
Still available, now with pepperoni!
In the USA, the Mac originally had 810 calories, reduced to 550 now (2013). It was a patented sandwich and workers could not put ketchup on it, else void the patent. They could give you ketchup packets, or a souffle cup of tartar sauce, etc.
Easiest Recipe and Variations
For very fast tartar sauce, scoop out 1 cup of Mayonnaise into a bowl, add 4 tablespoons (more or less, to taste) of sweet pickle relish, and stir in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Let it sit in the refrigerator under cover to meld flavors about an hour, if you have the time.
For a fast replica of Big Mac Sauce, add a little ketchup to the tartar sauce and mix it well. The real Mac Sauce has several ingredients you don't need if you're in a hurry.
My favorite variation for this fast and easy recipe is to add dill relish or any type of chutney instead of the sweet relish. Hot pickle relish is great, if you can find it, or chop up some hot pickles you find in the condiment department of your supermarket.
Another alternative is to use dill relish and lime juice instead of sweet relish and lemon juice.
Big Mac Museum
- Top 10 Most Unusual Places to Visit in Pennsylvania
Includes the Big Mac Museum.
- July 4th: Forgotten Symbols of America
Includes the Big Mac.
ADDITIONAL INTERESTING AND UNIQUE TARTAR SAUCE RECIPES
CILANTRO-LIME TARTAR SAUCE: Cook Time
CILANTRO-LIME TARTAR SAUCE: Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup each Mayonnaise and Sour Cream, Regular or low fat (recipe for Mayo at end of this article)
- 1/4 Cup Dill Pickles or Hot Pickles, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Red Onions, diced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBSP Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Medium-sized Fresh Jalepeno chili pepper, seeded and diced
- Stir ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Taste and add salt and/or pepper if needed, to taste.
- Cover and place bowl in refrigerator for an hour to blend flavors.
Rate this sauce, please!
Avocado Tartar Sauce
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise (or 1/2 Cup Mayo and 1/2 Cup Sour Cream)
- 1/8 tsp Ginger, grated
- 1/3 Cup Sweet White Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBSP Lemon Juice
- 1 Medium-sized ripe Hass Avocado
- 2 TBSP Dill Pickles, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste, if needed
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate one hour or overnight.
Note: I sometimes leave out the pickles altogether, substitute lime juice fo rthe lemon juice, and have a different sort of guacamole at the end.
How To Make Your Own Mayonnaise
- In a food blender, place contents of one large egg and a tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- Place the lid on the blender and remove the center section of the lid.
- Turn the blender on LOW and pour 1 Cup of vegetable oil slowly into the center opening of the lid. turn blender OFF.
- Add 4 tsp white vinegar. and PULSE blender until mixture is smooth and well mixed.
- Place mayo in a covered container and refrigerate.
Note: add salt and pepper, to taste, if you like.
Thousand Island Dressing
A quick 1000 Island Dressing contains 1 Cup Mayo, 1/4 Cup Ketchup, and 1/4 Cup Sweet Relish.
However, a fancier version of this dressing also includes:
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon each of chopped black olives, green bell pepper, white onion, and fresh chives.
Mix it all together and place it into a covered bowl or salad dressing bottle and refrigerate.