Red Beans Stew : Red Chori Masala
Rate the Recipe of Red Beans Stew
Red Beans :An Iron-Rich Food
Red beans also knows as Red chori is a good source of Iron,minerals and Folic acid.If you are a vegetarian and lack iron in your diet including red beans and other legumes in your diet can help provide iron as every 1 cup of cooked red beans provides 4.6mg of Iron.
Red beans /red chori is also called Adzuki beans and has some amazing benefits in it. Check out the following website to know more about Red beans/Red chori.
Association with my childhood
This dish takes me back to my childhood memories when we were all together in our old house; my sisters,brother living with my parents along with our old grandma. Red chori is the same as lobia in Urdu language and was a popular dish at my household. My mother uses to make it with potatoes as my brother and sisters found it very exciting when to their surprise there was an occasional potato in their curry.
The recipe presented below is a simplified version of the one used in my household. I used few ingredients which should be available in almost every pantry thus making it a simple week day afternoon meal that is ready in about an hour or so if cooked in a pressure cooker.
- 1 cup Red beans, Aka Red chori
- 1 tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 small onion
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste, or powder
- 1/4cup cooking oil
- Soak Red beans for about half an hour and in the meantime heat oil in a press cooker without lid.
- Add onions and tomatoes along with all the ingredients except red beans and add 2 cups of water and stir for few minutes.
- Set the pressure cooker and cook for about 5 minutes after you hear the first whistle. ( depends on what kind of pressure cooker is used,go by the user manual of your pressure cooker) cook until the beans become soft to perfection.( see pictures)
- Let the cooker cool down. open the lid and lo your delicious red beans stew is ready.
- Enjoy with chapati (flatbread) or serve with steamed white rice.
- I like to squeeze some fresh lemon to enhance the flavor of my red beans stew and serve along with sliced onions and green chillis for what should be called my hot tooth.(The opposite of sweet tooth,I guess).