Red Devils Food ... Another Vintage Moist and Delicious Yummy Cake Recipe
- cream together 1-1/2 cups of sugar with 1 cup softened butter
- 4 eggs -- beat into the above mixture one at a time
- 1/2 cup cocoa melted in 1 cup of coffee (can be reconstituted instant)
- 1 teaspoon soda and sifted with 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder well mixed with the flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Add part of the coffee with egg/butter mixture, then part of the flour ... repeat process, then add the vanilla.
The batter fits nicely in two 9" cake pans that have been parchment lined on the bottom and sprayed with cooking oil.
Bake at 350 degrees until done, about 30-35 minutes. As always, watch carefully so that the cake is not over baked.
There was not an icing recipe listed with the notes on the cake, so we used our favorite butter cream and flavored it with orange extract. See my Snow White Cake hub (or others) for this recipe.
The cake with icing
- I hope you like the flavor of this cake. I enjoyed it even though I am not a 'lover' of chocolate or cocoa. The coffee seemed to add a different and interesting appeal.