Red Lentil Hummus - Deliciously simple recipe
Red Lentils make a delicious and creamy hummus. This recipe is simple and easy to make and great for vegetarian, vegan. wheat and gluten free guests or to take to a party. It is also a perfect high protein healthy lunch for school or work . Serve with cut vegetables and/or pitta bread.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Ready in: 45 min
Yields: Serves 6-8 as an appetizer
- 1/2 cup/100g red lentils, washed
- 2-3 or 1tsp crushed garlic or powder
- 6tbsp lemon juice
- 6tbsp tahini
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp ground cayenne
- 2 olive oil
- 1/4 tbsp plus 1 tbsp olive oil and fresh coriander/cilantro, optional for garnish when serving
boil and simmer lentils. Add small amounts of water as requirted to prevent sticking and drying out | Source
Reserve the liquid from the drained lentils | Source
Add cayenne to mixed and creamed lentils | Source
Creamy hummus with pitta makes an ideal appy or protein lunch. | Source
- Wash lentils and add 1 and 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. Add small amounts of water if required to prevent lentils from boiling dry.
- Drain lentils and reserve drained liquid. Place lentils in food processor and add 2 tblsp of olive oil. Mix and use spatula to remove mixture from sides and combine into main mixture.
- Add garlic, salt, tahini and lemon juice and mix. Add reserved liquid as needed. The hummus should be creamy. Taste and adjust ingredients if required such as more lemon juice.
- Optional when serving add 1/4 tbsp olive oil and fresh coriander. Serve with warm pitta and or cut vegetables.