Red Lentil Soup With Lemon Recipe
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 25 min
Ready in: 45 min
Yields: 4 Servings
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 1 Carrot, Peeled and Diced
- Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
- A Pinch Chili Pepper, Ground
- 3 Tablespoons Cilantro, Chopped
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over high heat in a large pot until shimmering.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes or until golden.
- Add in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper, and chili pepper, stirring regularly, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, 2 cups of water, lentils, and the carrot. Bring the pot to a simmer, then partially cover the pot and turn heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Move roughly half the soup into a blender, and puree it.
- Add the pureed soup back into the pot. Reheat the soup if necessary.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, and serve hot.