- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Red Potato Salad Recipe
Why This is the Best Red Potato Salad
The first time I made potato salad with bacon and blue cheese, I was completely surprised by the incredibly wonderful flavor. With the complimentary contrast of the salty bacon, and the pungent blue cheese, the flavors were bursting in my mouth. It was so good, I had a hard time eating anything else, because all I wanted was a huge plate of this potato salad. Yes, it is probably high in calories, but it is so worth it! It is packed with nutrient-rich ingredients. See below for the specific benefits of most of the ingredients used in this wonderful recipe.
This potato salad is so good, it could be a side dish or a main meal. It would be a great accompanyment for a tasty steak. All by itself, a huge bowl of this potato salad would be a very satisfying main meal. This dish would also impress any crowd, so put it on your list of things to make when going to a party. You just can't go wrong with this recipe.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 8 servings side dishes, 4 servings main meal
What Did You Think?
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (optional)
More Red Potato Recipees
- Baby Red Potato Breakfast Scramble
Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner! Super easy to make.
- Bob's Red Potato Salad: Recipe
Potato salad what Summer picnic would be complete without it? There are numerous recipes for potato salad and in fact, the possibilities are so varied that you can make it to suit your own tastes. You can serve potato salad hot or cold, creamy or...
- German Red Potato Salad
German potato salad made with red potatoes and red onions. Flavor enhanced with bacon and vinegar based dressing. Amazing side item! Serve warm or chill for a while for a more robust flavor.
- Wash, scrub, and cut potatoes into bite-size pieces. The potatoes can be boiled with skins on for 20 minutes. However, if time allows, bake them in the oven, wrapped in foil. Then, cut them leaving the skins on. They will have a wonderful flavor when cooked this way.
- If you are baking your potatoes, include a clove of garlic in the foil wrapping of one of the potatoesl. When removing the clove, it will be like butter. Simply squeeze it into the mixture that follows. Otherwise, add minced garlic.
- While potatoes are boiling or baking, mix together the remaining ingredients. (I suggest cooking the bacon the day before, as it saves a lot of time). Reserve a bit of bacon and green onions for the final topping. If baking the garlic with the potatoes, mix it in with these ingredients thoroughly before the next step.
- Drain potatoes, if boilling them and allow to cool. Remove from oven and allow to cool, if baking them. Cut potatoes into bite-size pieces and mix thoroughly with other ingredients.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbled bacon and green onions on the very top for eye appeal.
Benefits of Ingredients in Red Potato Salad
- Red potatoes: According to Ehow.com, red potatoes are very good for you. "With the skin, one medium red potato contains 3g of dietary fiber per serving...the same amount of fiber found in many whole grain breads, pastas, and cereals."
- Olive oil: This pure oil, derived from the fruit of olive trees, is known as a staple in Mediterranean foods. According to OliveOilTimes.com, it is rich in fiber, phytochemicals and antioxidants.
- Garlic: According to the NatualSociety.com, "Garlic possesses aniviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal properties allowing it to stand against all infections," and "garlic is great for boosting the immune system, containing high levels of vitamin C and being identified as a serious anti-cancer food."
- Blue cheese: According to the CooksThesaurus, blue cheese should be brought to room temperature before serving. They also suggest that the following blue cheeses are best in salads: Stilton, Roquefort, Bavarian blue, Gorgonzola, and Cabrales.
- Apple cider vinegar: According eo WebMD.com, apple cider has long been used for remedies in various ways. Recent studies have shown many potential health benefits from clearer skin to weightloss.
Time Saving Tips
While this red potato salad recipe is absolutely wonderful, it does take more time than other simpler recipees. Here are some time saving tips you may want to try:
- Buy blue cheese already crumbled.
- Cook your bacon the day before; it could be leftovers from breakfast the day before.
- Purchase a high-quality microwave bacon cooker like the ceramic one pictured here.
- Keep a jar of minced garlic in the refrigerator and use it in lots of recipes; it's very good for you.
- Chop your medium-sized white onion the day before. If using green onions, chop them the day before too.
When putting a recipe together, it is really nice to already have everything at hand, just like the cooks do on all the cooking shows we watch. Get the prep work done the day before, and enjoy putting your delicious recipe together the next day.