Tomato, Cucumber Salad - Refreshing Summer Salad With Cilantro
Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Cilantro Salad
Refreshing Summer Salad Recipe Comes Alive with Cilantro!
Eating cool and refreshing foods during the dog days of summer can help to beat the heat. Recently, I came up with a simple salad that is refreshingly cool--perfect for the hot months of the year. Once you taste it, though, you will most likely want to incorporate this salad or some form of it into your meals all year long.
This salad in the summer months utilizes vegetables that are often coming out of gardeners' ears, so it's a good time to take advantage of the bounty.
I love the taste of fresh home-grown tomatoes in the summertime. Cucumbers--cool and crisp--also have a better flavor in the summertime. Adding fresh cilantro, whether grown yourself or purchased in the grocery store, adds a burst of flavor in this fresh summer salad.
You are in for a treat with this salad, especially if you are growing your own vegetables. If not, visit your local farmer's market, roadside vegetable stand, or beg from those who DO grow their own veggies. Tomatoes and cucumbers are plentiful during the gardening season. And cilantro, with its fragrant aroma and delectable flavor (one of my favorite spices) makes this salad come alive!
I love salads any time of the year, but it takes a while to put it all together when you include a lot of vegetables or additional items like eggs, bacon bits, croutons, or whatever else you can think of. One of the beauties of this salad is that very few items are included in it, and thus, besides being tasty and refreshing, it is also very quick to put together.
Recipe for Victoria's Homemade Vinaigrette
Ingredients for Refreshing Summer Salad
- Romaine lettuce (or other kind), torn or chopped
- cucumbers, chopped or sliced thinkly
- tomatoes, chopped
- cilantro, (plenty of it!), chopped
- vinaigrette dressing, your favorite!
Rate this Refreshing Summer Salad Recipe!
Instructions for Tomato, Cucumber, Cilantro Salad
- Chop up desired amount of lettuce and cilantro. Mix together in large bowl or separate into individual serving bowls.
- Add chopped cucumbers. I leave the skins on if they are not too tough. Ever see those mini cucumbers? Their flavor is delightful. If you can find them, use them instead of regular sized cucumbers.
- If you have fresh garden tomatoes, these are delightful in this salad. If you don’t, buy cherry or grape tomatoes, and half them before adding to salad. I’ve found that grape tomatoes tend to keep their flavor pretty well year-round.
- Sprinkle on a vinaigrette dressing or try the following recipe I came up with to make your own homemade vinaigrette dressing. You can use another type of salad dressing, but a vinaigrette type adds to the refreshing feel of this cool salad.
Another Great Recipe with Cilantro!
- Best Slow Cooker Green Chili with White Accompaniments
This crock pot recipe creates a great green chili that has spice, flavor, but isnt too hot on the palate. I also add several white accompaniments that top it off. If you like spicy Mexican food, you wont be disappointed!
Optional Salad Toppings
This salad is simple, quick, cold, and tasty with just a few ingredients. Sometimes I do add other toppings that are also good on the dish. If you’re in the mood for a more substantial salad, try adding other ingredients. I've found that the following do make for a tasty salad without overpowering the original ingredients of this simple cucumber and tomato salad.
Red, yellow, or green bell pepper
Black or green olives
Shredded cheese, any kind
Grated Parmesan cheese
Tomato, cucumber, cilantro salad (values are approximate)
|Serving size: 1 cup salad|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More nutritional information about Tomato, Cucumber, and Cilantro Salad
Minveral or Vitamin
Great salad recipe!
If you enjoy this recipe in the hot summer months, you will also love it throughout the year. It is simply too good to pass up.
As far as adding the optional items, these are all excellent additions, but the original recipe I listed is delightful in its simplicity. It’s refreshing and perfect for summertime!
© 2011 Victoria Lynn