Reuben Sandwich Recipe
The Best Reuben Sandwich Recipe
A Reuben Sandwich is just a yummy thing. The classic is corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing on dark rye bread, and the whole thing is grilled until luscious and melting.
It's incredibly simple to make, although you just don't see it done at home much. That's a daggone shame and should be rectified immediately. Do your part, and make one now. Here's how:
Rueben Sandwich Recipe:
2 slices whole wheat or dark rye bread
several slices of corned beef - depending on just how fat you want your sandwich
2 slices good Swiss cheese, although provolone works in a pinch
about 1/2 cup of sauerkraut - homemade if you're really lucky
2 tsp butter
For the Russian Dressing:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dill pickles
1 clove garlic
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for Making a Reuben Sandwich
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, pickles, garlic, lemon juice and onion. Process until smooth. Taste, and season to taste with salt and pepper. You'll have extra - refrigerate for up to a week.
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Melt butter in skillet.
- In the melted butter, layer a slice of bread, the corned beef and sauerkraut. Put a good bit of the dressing over the top. I use about 1/3 of a cup - depends on how sloppy and luscious you want it.
- Place the cheese over the dressing and top with the last slice of bread. Allow the sandwich to toast on the first side until golden brown - about six or seven minutes.
- Flip once, and toast the second side until it's beautifully brown, and the cheese is melting. You can check the toasting progress, but don't flip it again.
- Serve it immediately. This goodness needs immediate attention.
Visit the Website!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!