- Food and Cooking
How to Cook Red Cargo Rice and Kidney Beans - Healthy Lunch Menu
Kidney Beans and Red Cargo Rice
Hello, this is living with pulmonary hypertension since 2004 and today`s recipe is Kidney beans and , the combination of these two is very healthy and a complete meal itself. It provides virtually fat-free high quality protein and fiber. We already know enough about kidney beans so I do not want to repeat it. Let`s talk about Red Cargo Rice. The red cargo rice is unpolished rice and the color of the bran is purple, red or maroon. It is chewier than regular white rice and take longer to cook. Need to soak at least 15-30 minutes before cooking. Cooked red rice is more nutty and sweeter in taste. In this rice the husk is removed, leaving all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals retain in the bran layer. This is a good source of Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), fiber, iron and calcium. This rice is good for diabetic patients. whole grain red cargo rice
First, I am going to cook Kidney beans. Follow the instructions below for the ingredients and procedure.
Ingredients for the Kidney Beans
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon salt or as needed
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium size onion cut in small pieces.
- 3-4 clove of garlic
- small piece of fresh ginger
- 1 green chili
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- One pinch of asafoetida or hing
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 medium chopped tomato and cilantro for garnishing
How to Make Kidney Beans
- Before you soak kidney beans, make sure that there are no stones or rotten beans.
- Rinse twice then soak the kidney beans in about 6-7 cups of water for at least 8 hours. You can boil the water and soak kidney beans for only 2-3 hours. It depends how much time you have in your hands. Once it fully soaked, will be rise double in volume.
- Cut the onion,garlic, green chili in small pieces and combine with black pepper, dry coriander seed and make a paste.
- Cut the tomatoes in small pieces and make a paste.
- Add soaked kidney beans in pressure cooker with 7 cups of water. A this point I also add cumin powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, and paprika, close the lid of the pressure cooker and let it cook.
- As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Close the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker.
- In the mean time, heat the oil in a sauce pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed. If the seed cracks right away, the oil is ready. Add asafoetida and cumin seeds, as the cumin seeds crack add onion and garlic paste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste now and stir fry another 2-3 minutes until the oil start separating from the sides of the pan.
- Transfer the kidney beans from the pressure cooker in to saucepan. Combine well. Cook on medium high heat for 2 more minutes.
- Kidney beans should be soft and tender. Lightly mash the kidney beans while mixing. Adjust salt, and pepper to your taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantros.
Tips to cook good fluffy rice.
- If you have soaked rice longer than 30 minutes, use 1/4th cup of water less.
- Check the rice in about 10 minutes, If rice is not cooked cover it again and cook a few more minutes.
- When rice is done but too wet, turn off the heat and keep the lid open half way.
- If you keeping checking rice while is cooking, water will evaporate faster and rice will not cook right.
#2. Ingredients for Red Cargo Rice
- 1 cup red cargo rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
How to Cook Rice
- Wash rice 2-3 times changing water.
- Soak it for at least 15-30 minutes before cooking.
- In a medium sauce pan add 2 cups of water, one spoon of oil and rice. Cover the lid.
- Bring to a boil and turn the heat to low and cover the pan again.
- Cook rice for about 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork
You may like these hubs also
- Healhy Cabbage Recipe with Steamed Rice
Learn how to make healthy cabbage recipe. This is also a good way to help me out to release my stress of dealing pulmonary hypertension by cooking different recipes everyday. See how I do it.
- How to Make Aloo ka Parantha and Eggplant Bhartha
Mouth watering and soft aloo ka paratha with baigan or eggplant bhartha. Simple to make and double in taste.
- How to Cook Delicious Lunch and your own Tortilla at...
Pulmonary hypertension condition is not going to stop me for cooking lunch, steamed rice and home made tortilla. See how I manage it throgh cooking.