Rice and Veggies (with Chicken or Eggplant)
GARLIC: Chopping, mincing, crushing, or pressing garlic and allowing it to sit for 5-10 minutes can help provide enough time for certain enzymes and molecules to come in interact and form a compound called allicin, which has been associated with cardiovascular, anti-bacterial, and anti-cancer benefits.
BROWN RICE: Simply put, brown rice is less processed than white rice. It retains more of the bran and germ of the grain which gives it more fiber and nutrients.
SPECIFICALLY, BASMATI BROWN RICE: Basmati rice has a higher content of amylose, which is a carbohydrate that is more resistant to digestion. Because of this, basmati rice has a lower glycemic index than other rice.
EGGPLANT: Eggplant contains one of the most potent free radical scavengers found in plant tissues, which gives it benefits such as anti-cancer, antimicrobial, anti-LDL (bad cholesterol) and antiviral activities. It's also "brain food"!
- 2 TBS almond flour
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- (OR) 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed in small pieces
- 1 TBS grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil, (or chk or veggie broth)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 each red, orange and yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can rotel (diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro)
- 1 cup spinach or kale, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 3 cups low-sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspons turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- If using eggplant, preheat oven to 400. If not, preheat to 350. Chop onion and garlic and let sit 5 minutes to bring out their health promoting benefits.
- While garlic and onion sit, combine flour, (and salt and pepper, if desired) in a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken or eggplant and shake until well coated. Place eggplant in baking sheet and bake 5-7 min each side. Remove from oven and set oven to 350.
- Sauté onion in about 1 TBS chk or veggie broth (or olive oil if you prefer) on medium-high heat until translucent. Add garlic, spices and rice and cook while stirring for a few min.
- Add chicken or veggie broth and tomatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min. Add greens, simmer additional 10 min.
- If using chicken, sauté in a little broth or olive oil for a few minutes - just barely brown.
- Pour rice mixture in glass baking dish and add eggplant, chicken and the rest of the veggies.
- Cover and bake 45 min or until rice is tender.
- *Additional option - add a can of rinsed, drained black beans or lentils!