Rich Chocolate Cake Recipe
I am a chocolate lover and have found this chocolate cake to be one of the best I have tried making at home. This recipe is easy to follow and is enough to be shared happily among 5-6 people. Hope you like it as much as I do :)
Ingredients for chocolate sponge cake
225 g dark semisweet chocolate (>40% cocoa composition)
140 g butter
100 g all purpose flour
4 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
200 ml of sour cream
Ingredients for frosting:
2/3 cup of whipping cream
260 g semisweet chocolate (>40 % cocoa composition)
1) Preheat the oven to 180oC.
2) Line a circular 25 cm cake tin (8 cm tall) with grease proof paper and grease the tin with slight tint of butter.
3) Melt the chocolate chips with butter over low heat. Stir constantly to even the heat. Be careful not to over heat and burn the chocolate mix.
4) Beat the eggs with sugar first and then slowly add in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla extract.
5) Slowly fold in the melted butter and chocolate together with the sour cream.
6) Pour the cake mixture into the greased tin and bake in the preheated oven until a wooden prick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. It would take about 40 mins.
7) Cool the cake completely to room temperature. Place it in the fridge for at least 30 mins before removing the cake from the tin.
1) Heat 200 ml of whipping cream in a pan.
2) Remove from heat, add 260 g of semisweet chocolate chips, stir till smooth and let it cool until the texture thickens.
3) Use 1/3 of the chocolate frosting between the sponge layers and spread the rest of the frosting evenly around the cake.
4) Put the cake into the fridge for one hour or more to harden the frosting.
5) You may decorate the cake with freshly sliced strawberries or chopped walnuts.
This cake is served preferably at room temperature. Best enjoyed with a cup of hot tea over a lazy afternoon :)