Basic Ridge Gourd Fry
Ridge gourd fry
How to choose a tender ridge gourd
- Choose a ridge gourd that has a deep green color, firm skin, and that is free of soft spots and darkened areas. Its stem should be green and should look fresh. Avoid those that have signs of decay and if they are soft and rubbery.
How to peel the vegetable
How to cut the vegetable
Ridge Gourd curry
- 2 ridge gourd
- 2 onions
- 4 spoons canola oil
- half spoon channa dal
- half spoon urad dal
- half spoon mustard seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- 4 green chilli
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- one and a half tablespoon red chili powder
- half spoon salt
Instructions (this dish should be cooked under medium heat throughout)
- Add about 4 spoons of oil in a wok. Allow the oil to heat up. Add channa dal, urad dal and mustard seeds in quick succession.
- After about 3 to 4 minutes the mustard seeds start to splutter. The channa dal and urad dal slightly change color (they slightly turn golden yellow).
- Add the dry red chili.
- After about a minute add the finely sliced onions and green chili. Add about half a spoon of salt. Mix the contents in the wok thoroughly. Cover the wok. Cook for about 8 minutes (stir the contents in the wok every 2 to 3 minutes, so that the contents in the wok do not stick to its bottom).
- After about 8 minutes the onions slowly begin to change color. They also begin to turn slightly transparent. Add the ridge guard pieces to the wok and mix the contents in the wok thoroughly. Cover the wok (Stir the contents in the wok every 2 to 3 minutes, so that the contents in the wok do not stick to its bottom). Cook for 12 minutes.
- After about 10 to 12 minutes add a tablespoon of turmeric powder. Cover the wok (Stir the contents in the wok every 2 to 3 minutes). Cook for about 4 minutes.
- After about 4 minutes add half a spoon of red chili powder. At this step check if the salt is sufficient and if necessary, add the required amount of salt. Cover the wok (Stir the contents in the wok every 2 to 3 minutes). Cook for about 5 minutes.
Health and Beauty benifits
- Ridge gourd is extremely rich in dietary fiber. It is enriched with all the vital elements that include Vitamin-C, Zinc, Iron, Riboflavin, Magnesium and traces of other minerals.
- It is low in saturated fat, cholesterol and calories which aid in weight loss.
- Ridge gourd contains a considerably good amount of cellulose. Its high water content provides relief from constipation and helps with healing piles.
- Ridge gourd contains insulin like Peptides and Alkaloids within the vegetable that helps to reduce the sugar levels in both the blood and urine.
- It is high in Beta-carotene which is good for enhancing eye sight.
- Ridge gourd effectively purifies blood. It boosts and nourishes the liver health and protects the liver from alcohol intoxication.
- Ridge gourd juice is used to heal jaundice and to strengthen your immune system against any infection.
- It is good for skin care, as the blood purifying qualities in it ensures skin free from pimples and acne.
- Ridge gourd helps to manage acidity as well as ulcers.
- Ridge Gourd Glossary | Recipes with Ridge Gourd | Tarladalal.com
Ridge gourd recipies and benefits by tarla dalal
- How to peel Ridge gourd | Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi | Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney | Spice
how to peel and cut the vegetable from the cooking blog spice your life
- Health benefits of Ridge Gourd | Health Benefits
Health benefits and nutritional value of ridge gourd
- Ridge Gourd Health Benefits | Ridge Gourd Nutrition
Ridge Gourd is a dark green, tapering and ridged vegetable. Ridge gourd Benefits is its low in cholesterol & saturated fats but high in vitamin C.
© 2015 serenity