- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Ripe Cucumber Pickles Recipe
Once it gets to the end of the season you start getting tired of cucumbers and a few don't get picked in time. After you've given your cucumbers to all of your friends and neighbors, it time to try this recipe for Ripe Cucumber Pickles. The pickles are inexpensive to make and you'll put a smile on the faces of all the pickle lovers in your family.
After you try these you'll find out how easy it is to make pickles and you'll want to try more pickle recipes. Have fun and enjoy the finished product all winter.
- 12 ripe cucumbers
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 3" stick of cinnamon
- Wash and peel the cucumbers. Cut in halves lengthwise, removing the seeds.
- Make a brine with the salt and water. Mix in the cucumbers and let stand overnight or for 12 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers.
- Tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag.
- In a pan, bring the sugar, vinegar, and spices to a boil.
- Add the cucumbers and cook until they begin to look transparent, but are still crisp.
- Fill sterilized jars with the cucumbers and pour the remaining hot syrup over them. Seal.
The recipe will make about 3 quarts or 6 pints.
- Home Canning
Find recipes for spaghetti sauce, pickles, relish, castsup, pizza sauce, pie filling and more.
- Is Using Alum in Home Canning Recipes Safe?
Alum may no longer be a safe ingredient for pickles. New products are now available and why take the chance?
- Crisp Sweet Cucumber Pickle Recipe
If you like your pickles crispy, read the rules on this page. Then try the sweet pickle recipe.