- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Roasted Cherry Tomato and Sweet Pepper Soup Recipe
This soup really walks the line between summer and fall pretty well –using up every last bit of garden harvest bounty and transforming it all into a soup that satisfies on hot and cooler days and nights.
It’s also very very easy to make – you won’t need your measuring spoons for this one!
Roasted Cherry Tomato and Sweet Pepper Soup
- A couple of pounds of tomatoes, Cherry tomatoes or plum tomatoes work well here. Tomatoes should be cut in half and placed on the baking sheet cut side up.
- 2 or 3 big red peppers, seeds and stem removed, cut into largish segments
- An onion, cut into about 6 wedges
- A couple of cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Cream (half and half works well here, although any kind will do)
- Chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- A sprinkling of thyme
- Heat your oven to 425
- Arrange all the tomatoes (cut side up) peppers onions wedges and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle over a generous few spoonfuls of olive oil and then sprinkle on salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of dried thyme leaves.
- Let roast for between 30 and 50 minutes, or until the peppers and onions are softened and the tomatoes are wilted and everything is starting to brown up a bit as well.
- Take all the vegetables and plop into a blender with a bit of homemade chicken stock (or used canned, if that’s what you have). Give it all a whirl in the blender until smooth.
- Add in a couple of good sized glugs of cream and thin down with more chicken stock until you reach your desired consistency.
- Bring it a simmer and then season with salt and pepper to
taste. (It's always a good idea to season food at its serving temperature. Things can taste more or less sweet/salty, depending on the temperature at which they are consumed!)
Here is a link to easy to follow chicken stock making instructions. If you do only one thing to improve the taste of your food, making your own homemade stock is a good place to start - and it's so easy too.
Roasting Cherry Tomatoes
More Soup Recipes
- Chunky Leek and Potato Soup Recipe. A Delicious but ...
An easy but delicious potato and leek soup recipe with detailed instructions.
- Sweet potato maple mustard soup recipe. A delicious ...
I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here, but as September approaches, and with it the first crisp evenings and the bounty of the marketI cant help but start thinking about the fantastic...
- Yellow split pea soup recipe. Rib-sticking winter co...
Nothing satisfies more on a cold day than coming home to a rib-sticking split pea soup. For those unfortunates that have yet to try a real homemade split pea soup, please do not assume that the gloopy stuff...