Gluten-Free roasted Vegetables over Polenta with Black Bean Sauce
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 bunch or clam shell fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 or 3 potato's, washed and chopped
- 1 large onion, rough chop
- 1 cup cheese, colby or your favorite
- 2 cans 15 oz black beans, drained but retaining 1 cup bean water
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 package polenta, either pre-made or you cook
- 2-3 tablespoons peanut oil, or other heat tolerant oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thin
Healthy and delicious
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degree's putting in the empty roasting pan so it can heat also.
- Mix the squash, onion and potato's together in bowl, drizzle on peanut oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- When the oven reaches 425 degrees carefully remove the roasting pan. It will be screaming hot so take care. Pour in the vegetables from your large bowl in to the pan. Bringing the pan to temperature helps with caramelizing the vegetables and speeds up the cooking time.
- While the veggies are roasting make your polenta as per the instructions on the package. Adding the chopped spinach the same time as you add the cheese to the polenta. Pour this mixture into a baking dish and set it aside.
- Take both cans of drained black beans(salt if desired) minced garlic, and cumin, then pour these ingredients into a food processor or blender, along with 1/2 cup bean water. If you dont have either of these appliances, you can mash the beans by hand with a potato masher or a large fork. Turn on food processor and pulse the beans until smooth, adding bean water for creaminess as needed. The black bean sauce will be thick but pourable, depending on how much of the bean water you added. Place into a saucepan on the stove and heat on low for 25-30 minutes.
- When the vegetables are about 15 minutes away from being done, put the baking dish of polenta in the oven so it will be hot and ready with the rest of the ingredients.
- When all the components of the dish are cooked and heated thoroughly, take a slice of polenta and put on a plate. Then scoop up about a cup, or cup an half of the roasted vegetables and pour them over polenta. Then, top it off with the black bean sauce, chives, and chopped avocado. Now sprinkle it all with feta cheese. Eat slow because it is SO good you will want to savor every bite!
This recipe can be made vegan by omitting the cheese and will still be quite delicious. You can also speed up cooking time by buying pre-made polenta. Polenta can be bought in a tube and cut into rounds. You then lay the polenta rounds in a cooking dish, sprinkle them with spinach, then sprinkle on cheese and bake it. Of course you could skip the spinach altogether.
Don't be turned off by a recipe because it has an ingredient you may not like. The roasted vegetables in this recipe can be substituted with any vegetable you like roasted and is in season. I chose these because they marry well with the black bean sauce. Kids love roasted veggies. They are super sweet when carmelized. If your vegetables are soft but don't have the nice brown color just pop it under the broiler until desired color is achieved. Also, if cumin isn't your thing try a smoked paprika. Chives can be subsituted for cilantro,,the black beans can be white beans and the feta can be gorganzola! You get the picture!