Rogan Josh Recipe.
Rogan Josh is the most famous of the Kashimiri cuisine. Kashmir is the northern most part of India and it is supposed to be the most beautiful place on earth. This dish has a very nice aroma which invokes feeling of hunger inside you and dish is equally very tasty. Main ingredient of this dish is lamb. Care has to be taken to choose the lamb so that it is very succulent and tasty. This is of course red meat but then we can not eat always thinking of red or white meat, many a times we have to think of tongue too. Very tasty, easy to make and though if you live outside India, ingredients may only be available online but they are easily available on amazon.com or ebay.com.
1. Boneless leg of lamb: 700 grams / 1 pound and 9 Oz.
2. Yogurt: 300 ml / 12 fl oz.
3. Tomatoes: 2 deseeded and chopped.
4. Onion: 1 chopped.
5. Heeng (Asafetida): ½ Tsp dissolved in 20 ml of water.
6. Ghee: 30 grams / 1 oz
7. Ginger garlic paste: 2 Tsp
8. Tomato Puree: 2 Tbsp.
9. Bay leaves: 2
10. Ground Coriander / Cilantro: 1 Tbsp.
11. Red Chili powder: ½ Tsp
12. Ground turmeric: ½ tsp
13. Salt to taste
14. Garam Masala: ½ tsp
15. 1 Green chili: chopped.
Do you like Lamb?
1. Take a large bowl.
2. Now put 300 ml of yogurt in the bowl and mix well with the Heeng (asafetida).
3. Set Aside
4. Now take the boneless leg of the lamb and trim all the fat and skin over it.
5. Cut the lamb in to 5 cm / 2 inch cubes.
6. Now add the lamb to the yogurt.
7. Rub yogurt well on lamb pieces with hand.
8. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinade.
9. Now in a blender, blend onion and tomatoes in to a smooth mix.
10. Take a heavy base large frying pan with tight fitting lid.
11. Melt Ghee in it.
12. Now add garlic and ginger paste to it.
13. Stir it continuously for a minute or so, till you smell aromas.
14. Now to this add tomato and onion mix from the blender.
15. Stir for 30 seconds.
16. Now add bay leaves, tomato puree, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
17. Stir well.
18. Now reduce heat to low.
19. Simmer for 7 to 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
20. Now from the bowl add all the contents ( lamb and marinade)
21. Add salt.
22. Mix well.
23. Cover the pan with tight fitting lid.
24. Now let it simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
25. Since lamb have moisture of its own so it don’t need water but if you feel it is too dry and is going to stick to base of pan then add little water.
26. Now after 30 minutes sprinkle Garam Masala on the lamb.
27. Cover lid again and simmer it for another 15 to 20 minutes till lamb is tender.
28. Serve hot.
1. If you can not find ghee then you can use vegetable or mustard oil, though real aroma and taste come with ghee only.
2. Pan should be heavy base or ingredients can stick to the pan.
3. Kashmiri red chili powder is preferred but if not available uses ordinary red chili powder.
4. Garam masala if not home made then make sure it is from good company.
5. Rub yogurt hard on to the lamb to marinade it well.
More hubs from me
- Shredded Chicken With Mushroom
This one is one of my favourite lunch and dinner dish. Chicken and mushrooms make my meal enjoyable as much as it can be. Adding mushroom to any dish not only make the bulk but also make it very tasty, healthy and pleasing to the eyes. I love it when
- Chicken Coconut soup
Coconut is extensively used not only in Indian cooking but also in Thai, Malaysian, and other South East Asian cuisines. Coconut is used in many forms. Coconut can be used as coconut milk, coconut pulp and also as dried pulp of coconut. Coconut oil i
- Fish Tikka
Fish tikka is one of the authentic Indian cooking. This dish is definitely Punjabi and since there is no sea near Punjab so only fresh water fish is used in this dish. Fish Tikka is famous now in all over India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and in parts of wo
- Pesto and Ricotta Chicken
This recipe involves a very good combination of cheese and chicken. It may not be as healthy as some other chicken dishes but in taste it is second to none. When cooked the dish is mouth watering and when served right it is very pleasing to eye. Agai
- Silky Chicken Kebabs
Kebabs have been favorite dish of Muslim Indian Royalty since long. They used to employ special cooks to make kebabs. It was said that if a cook is not Kebabs then he doesn’t know cooking at all. Kebabs are usually made from mutton ( lamb or goat mea
- Kashmiri Chicken
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it
- Chicken vegetable and ginger salad
This recipe can be used as an appetizer or as a snack. Since this dish has vegetables and white meat so this is as healthy as it can get. This is one dish which comes as a blessing for those mothers who always complain that their children eat nothing
- Chicken Wrap
This can be used as a snack or as a lunch. Children like it very much and its ingredients are very easily available and it is very easy to make. It is light on stomach, less on calories and high on taste and health. A must for any woman with young ch