Roly Poli Pudding in a Pie
Poli brings back many childhood memories. A warm feeling of love, caring and sharing. Family and friends gathered together sharing stories, reminiscing and filling the room with laughter. Quality time while baking.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 250g dessicated coconut
- 60g pecan nuts, chopped
- 50g almonds, chopped
- 50g sultana
- 250g semolina
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 385g condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamon powder (elachie)
- 500g flour
- 100g margarine
- 50ml water
- 50ml milk
Instructions for filling
- In a heated pan sauté semolina, sesame seeds, coconut, almond and pecan nuts in margarine until golden brown
- Add cardamom powder and leave to toast for 5 minutes giving a quick toss every 1 minute for even golden tinge
- Remove from heat
- Add sultana’s and condensed milk, mix evenly
- Allow to cool
Instructions for pastry
- Add butter to flour blend together
- Add water and milk to form a soft dough
- Divide the dough into 2 portions
- Roll out, and using a cup as a cookie cutter, cut circles
- Helpings of a tablespoon of filling into one side of each circle
- Fold over the half circle and with your finger or fork press the edges closed
- Heat enough oil to cover the poli in the wok at moderate temperature
- Deep fry the poli in oil at moderate heat for 3 minutes on each side until crisp, for best results I use the Michelangelo 5 non-stick Wok
- Drain excess oil from the poli onto a paper towel
- Ready to serve
Serving Suggestion: Fresh cream as a dip for the Poli
It is non-stick, can be used for so many things, all food cooking, sauces, boiling, toasting, frying batters or pastries, and the best thing is the excess of the ingredients do not latch on to any part of the wok.
No plastic coating, comes with a steam rack which I use for roasting and grilling.
Even dispersement of heat ensuring balanced and efficient cooking time.
I have used the wok for the chicken pot roast recipe, the mutton curry with a twist, the fillings, the frying of the samosa recipes, the pancake recipes and the poli recipe.
The list continues to grow as it serves as a wok, pot and pan for me.
Comes with a basket, so you don’t have to worry about not being able to catch those runaway fries, rice or delicious treats.
Easy to clean, using a soft sponge and some dishwashing liquid under some warm water, all stubborn stains that usually stick on pots or pans wipe off clean, therefore cleaning is not time consuming.
It’s an all in one for me, have been using it for almost all my cooking, and it hasn’t lost its shape.
For more information on related articles, refer to the links below:
- Adventurous Mutton Potjie That Will Leave Your Diners Wanting More of the Succulent Smokey Dish
Be adventurous while entertaining, your guests
- Can You Keep a Secret in Making an Epically Mean Bombay Crush
Great as a dessert, parties of all ages, events or just to relax and chill...
- Obey and Treat Your Sweet Tooth To Apple, Almond and Cinnamon Samoosas
For every savoury dish, why not keep a balance and favour your sweet tooth. With all savoury meals or snack, I like to compliment with a dessert.
- Satisfy Your Craving! Delightful Cabbage and Carrot Samoosas
A fantastic vegetarian on the go savory meal, lunch or snack
- Easy Peasy Pancake Toast Made Easy!
So, quick and easy, you will put this recipe on your list as part of your meals for the week including the weekend. My kids love it!
- Comfort Pancakes! Fill Your Tastebuds
Fill your tastebuds with loads of deliciousness! You will be snacking on it for the rest of the day.
- Mouthwatering Mutton Curry With a Twist That Indulges Your Tastebuds
Homemade recipes that brings joy to your tummy and spirit to your soul
- Delicious Family Recipe of Chicken Pot Roast
So delicious and easy to prepare with no mess no fuss
- Spicy Chicken Tikka Masala Wraps
Great on your tastebuds, and serving suggestion for any function, social gathering, or just family time
- Sing With Me: “Sugar and Spice With All Things Nice, and That’s What Herbal Remedies Are Made Of…”
Sugar and spice are packed with natural remedies. Here are some good to know facts...