A Rose Recipe: Chicken Pot Pie
- You can freeze them too! I wrote the baking directions on Ziploc bags then wrapped tinfoil around the cooled pie and put in the bags.
- It doesn't matter how pretty they are going in, they will look and smell great coming out of the oven!
Simple pot pie without hours of labor
Rose’s Easy Chicken pot pie
(Makes 4 pies)
4 packages (of 2 each) 9 inch deep frozen pastry/pie crusts
1 large can Swanson’s chicken broth (use ¾ of can)
16 oz frozen veggies of choice
1 can (drained) corn
5 chicken breasts (bake them unseasoned then dice)
½ onion diced
2 cubes of butter (1 cup)
1 cup flour
1 package chicken gravy
3 tbl cornstarch
Parsley, season salt, pepper to taste
- Bake chicken breasts at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then dice and set aside.
- While chicken is baking, in a pot, bring frozen veggies to room temperature and set aside.
- While chicken is baking, in a large soup pot saute the onion in the butter until translucent. Then set heat to medium, slowly add the cornstarch while whisking. Add the flour and the gravy packet and add the ¾ of the can of chicken broth alternatively so sauce thickens. Add season salt and pepper and a tablespoon of fresh parsley (or a teaspoon of dried). Add the veggies and the chicken to the sauce and bring to a boil while prepping your crusts.
- To prep the crusts, separate 4 of the crusts from the pie tins and set on counter, these will be your tops. Fill the remaining crusts with filling. If crust tops crumble or separate, use a rolling bin to flatten out (use flour too!) then gently set crust on top of your pot pie and crimp the edges together.
- Once all pies are assembled, crack eggs in a bowl and scramble them, then coat the tops of the pies with the eggs. Cut slits in the tops of the pies for steam holes then salt, pepper and parsley the tops to taste.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.