Rum Cake Recipe
If you like cake and enjoy the taste of rum you will love this cake recipe. It is one of my favorite desserts to make anytime of year. I've heard that this cake gets better with age but I really wouldn't know as it usually all goes the first day after making it.
This is not an original recipe. I found this at my local liquor store. They always have recipe cards that are free for the taking on the counter. It is actually a Bacardi Rum Cake, but I've found that you can use any golden to dark rum that you prefer.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
- Yields: Will serve 6-10 people depending on size of slices
I bet you can't eat just one slice
Ingredients For Rum Cake
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (You can use walnuts or omit the nuts all together)
- 1 yellow cake mix such as Duncan Hines
- 1 package of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of rum (golden to dark works best)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan. If you are using nuts, sprinkle them in the bottom of a tube or bundt pan.
Making The Batter
- In a large mixing bowl stir and mix yellow cake mix together with eggs and instant pudding.
- Add oil, water and rum. With an electric mixer on low speed beat until well mixed. Beat on high speed for two minutes.
- Pour the batter mixture into the bundt pan and bake for one hour. If your oven cooks a bit faster or slower, it's always best to check the cake with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes. Turn onto a plate or serving dish.
Making The Glaze
In a saucepan melt the butter and stir in water, rum and sugar. Boil for approximately 5 minutes stirring constantly. Gently prick the top of the cake with a toothpick and spoon the glaze mixture over the cake. Let the glaze absorb into the cake and then repeat until all glaze is used.
Glaze For Rum Cake
- 3 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup of rum
- 1/2 cup of sugar
Who Doesn't Like Dessert?
- Creating The Perfect Birthday Cake for An Artist
Birthday's are a special time and they only come once a year. If you know of an "artist" who is having a birthday soon, this is the perfect cake to make for them.
- Hedgehog Cake - a Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Delicious Fruit Crumble Pudding.
A modern healthier version of the traditional British pudding, the Fruit Crumble, this recipe is low in cholesterol and has no added sugar. It still manages to be delicious!
- Making and Decorating a Cake Train
How to make a cake train for your next birthday or holiday celebration. Learn how to use cake train molds or make your own train cake from scratch.
- Make your child's birthday special: How to Make a Race Car Track Cake
Making your child's birthday cake is a great way to not only make the day special, but save a few dollars. Try this creative way to make your own Racecar Track Cake.
- Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Cheesecake Anyone-Serves 20 Recipe
Decadent cheesecake with easy to follow instructions. Serves 20 - 30 people.