- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Rum Cake Recipe
If you like cake and enjoy the taste of rum you will love this cake recipe. It is one of my favorite desserts to make anytime of year. I've heard that this cake gets better with age but I really wouldn't know as it usually all goes the first day after making it.
This is not an original recipe. I found this at my local liquor store. They always have recipe cards that are free for the taking on the counter. It is actually a Bacardi Rum Cake, but I've found that you can use any golden to dark rum that you prefer.
I bet you can't eat just one slice
Ingredients For Rum Cake
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (You can use walnuts or omit the nuts all together)
- 1 yellow cake mix such as Duncan Hines
- 1 package of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of rum (golden to dark works best)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a bundt pan. If you are using nuts, sprinkle them in the bottom of a tube or bundt pan.
Making The Batter
- In a large mixing bowl stir and mix yellow cake mix together with eggs and instant pudding.
- Add oil, water and rum. With an electric mixer on low speed beat until well mixed. Beat on high speed for two minutes.
- Pour the batter mixture into the bundt pan and bake for one hour. If your oven cooks a bit faster or slower, it's always best to check the cake with a toothpick to make sure it is cooked.
- Remove from oven and cool for at least 15 minutes. Turn onto a plate or serving dish.
Making The Glaze
In a saucepan melt the butter and stir in water, rum and sugar. Boil for approximately 5 minutes stirring constantly. Gently prick the top of the cake with a toothpick and spoon the glaze mixture over the cake. Let the glaze absorb into the cake and then repeat until all glaze is used.
Glaze For Rum Cake
- 3 TBS butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup of rum
- 1/2 cup of sugar
© 2012 Susan Zutautas