- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Garlic Egg Toast Appetizer Snack Recipe
Egg toast snack
This recipe is very simple and inexpensive to make, it has very few ingredients, but is surprisingly tasty and nutritious. It is very crispy with a hint of garlic and herbs. It can be eaten as a snack, or you can eat it for breakfast, minus the garlic, or as an appetizer with any meal. This recipe goes particularly well with any soups and salads.
- 4 pieces of whole grain bread
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 clove of fresh garlic
- 4 Tbsp of regular mayo, or vegetarian mayo
- 4 tsp of fresh chopped dill, parsley or cilantro
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Boil eggs for 11 minutes on medium heat. After 11 minutes, drain water, put eggs in a different container, cover with cold water and handful of ice cubes. This procedure will guarantee that your eggs will turn out perfectly cooked, with yellow yolk without dark around it. Also, it will be easy to take the egg shell off.
- Toast bread in the toaster on the high setting, to make sure it is very crispy, but not burned.
- Rub each piece of toast with fresh garlic clove, on one side of the toast.
- Spread mayo on the same side as you rubbed garlic on
- Chop up eggs into very small cubes, equally distribute them on toasts, and firmly press the eggs onto the toasts, mayo will help to hold them together.
- Sprinkle with little bit of salt, freshly ground black pepper and chopped dill, parsley or cilantro, your choice. I like dill for it's pleasant aroma and benefits for the digestive system. Parsley is a good choice also, since it will help to reduce the smell of garlic after eating it, it's also very nutritious. Cilantro has similar properties as parsley, but it has a very distinct aroma, not everyone likes it.
These toasts should be served immediately after assembly, do not make them ahead of time, as they will get soggy. Crunchy texture of these appetizers is very important, so eat them as soon as possible.
In order for these egg toasts to be of superior nutritional value to you and your family, please pick whole grain bread, preferably organic, better yet sourdough. There are many varieties of breads to pick from, such as: whole wheat, mixed grain, mixed grain and seeds gluten-free, or my favorite, sprouted multi-grain bread, which is superior to all of the breads in nutritional value.
Whole grain toast will have many beneficial nutrients; such as: manganese, fiber, tryptophan and magnesium. People who choose whole grains over processed grains, tend to have healthier weight, they have lower risk of diabetes, gallstones, metabolic syndrome, inflammation and other health problems.
Use organic, omega-rich eggs for this recipe. Eggs are a good source of high quality protein, which is especially important for growing children. Eggs are also rich in very much needed nutrient choline, they have selenium, iodine, vitamin B12, B2, B5, phosphorus, vitamin D and tryptophan.