Sangria: Make Your Own Unique Wine Punch With This Basic Recipe
Sangria is a wine punch. It is festive enough for a holiday party, but will go great on any summer evening at home. While sangria always has the same basic ingredients, you can experiment to develop your own unique recipe using this basic template.
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 cup liquor
- 1/3 cup lemonade
- 1/3 cup fruit juice
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 or three pieces of fresh fruit, sliced
- soda or bubbly water
Choosing Your Specific Ingredients
Sangria involves a mix of many flavors, which should marinate together at least overnight. You can personalize your sangria by choosing your own favorites:
Red Wine: I personally think good basics like Merlot and Cabernet work best in sangria, but choose any wine you like.
Liquor: I use Triple Sec, an Orange Liqueur, because I like the fruity note it brings. But brandy, rum, or tequila blend just as well.
Lemonade and juice: My sangria leans to the citrus side, so I like to use lemonade and orange juice. But you can use any sort of juice: cranberry, pineapple, ruby red grapefruit, or a favorite juice blend.
Sugar: White sugar, pretty much. I haven't tried it with any other sort.
Fruit: Sliced fruit marinated in the punch overnight is what makes sangria sangria. The flavors all meld together, the fruit becomes saturated with the dark red mix, and everyone should get a slice or two in their glass. I use citrus: 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange. You can use any sort of fruit: plums, peaches, pineapple, berries.
Soda: This can be anything from sparkling water to ginger ale to Italian soda. I favor italian soda - I find it blends well with the fruit flavors in sangria.
- Mix all the liquids but the soda together in a glass pitcher. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the fruit slices. Refridgerate overnight.
- Just before serving, add soda. You can pour anywhere from equal parts soda and wine mix, to just enough soda to add a sparkle. Sangria can be served in a punch bowl, a pitcher, or simply poured into individual glasses.
- Have fun experimenting to find your own perfect sangria recipe!