Santa Fe Chicken Recipe
Santa Fe Chicken
Easy Chicken and Rice Recipe
Ladies and gentlemen take out your skillet and get ready to make this easy and delicious Santa Fe chicken recipe. This all-in-one chicken and rice dish takes only 45 minutes to prepare which comes in handy for those days when life becomes a little hectic and you need a quick and tasty dinner for the family.
Served with a delicious pot of black beans, this easy family meal is sure to be a winner with the whole family. Below you will find a list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions with pictures for creating this easy chicken recipe. You will also find a quick black bean side dish recipe and directions for creating yummy Santa Fe chicken wraps with these tasty leftovers.
Rate this Recipe
Santa Fe Chicken Ingredients
Ingredients for Santa Fe Chicken
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless
- 1 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
How to Make Santa Fe ChickenClick thumbnail to view full-size
Skillet with Glass Lid
Santa Fe Chicken Instructions
- To prep for this dish, wash and remove fat from 4 boneless chicken breasts. Chop onions to fill 1/2 cup.
- In a large skillet, add onions and 1 tablespoon of butter. Saute onions over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add 1 can of chicken broth and 2/3 cup of salsa to sauteed onions. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of long grain rice and 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder. Stir well.
- Add 4 boneless chicken breasts to the top of the mixture. Cover with lid and reduce heat to simmer. After 10 minutes, turn chicken over and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Sprinkle with 1 cup of Mexican style shredded cheese. Cover with lid and allow cheese to melt for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of parsley over the finished dish and enjoy!
Santa Fe Chicken Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 16 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 13 g||26%|
|Cholesterol 35 mg||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to Make Black BeansClick thumbnail to view full-size
Saucepan with Cover
Black Bean Side Dish Recipe
The perfect side dish to accompany this delicious Santa Fe chicken recipe is a simple pot of black beans enhanced with 5 savory spices. After you turn the chicken to cook for the additional 15 minutes, gather up the below ingredients and follow the instructions to make a quick and delicious pot of black beans.
1 can (15 oz) of black beans
1/8 teaspoon of onion powder
1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of parsley
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper
1/8 teaspoon of salt (or more if desired)
- Combine beans, onion powder, and garlic powder in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add parsley, red pepper, and salt. Stir well.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent beans from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan. Serve and enjoy!
Santa Fe Chicken Poll
Which recipe are you most excited to try out?
Leftover Idea: Santa Fe Chicken Wrap
When I prepare this easy meal for my family of four, I usually have enough leftovers to make a couple of delicious Santa Fe chicken wraps. To make these wraps, shred any remaining chicken left in the rice mixture and warm up these leftovers along with the black beans in the microwave. Spoon these ingredients into a warm 6 or 8 inch flour tortilla and add any additional toppings you desire such as sour cream, salsa, or guacamole. These tasty wraps come in handy the next day for a quick and filling lunch.
I hope this Santa Fe chicken recipe along with the black bean side dish and leftover wrap idea has come in handy to help prepare an easy meal for your family. If you have any questions or comments about any of the above recipes, feel free to leave these in the comment section below.