Sapin Sapin Recipe
Sapin Sapin: A Famous Filipino Dessert
Sapin-sapin is actually a famous Filipino dessert which consists mainly of rice, with various beautiful colored layers. It is originated from Abra, a province in the Philippines, which is located in the Northern part of the country. The layers are actually colored with deep purple color at the bottom, yellow at the middle and white at the top. And each layer is carefully steamed before putting it together.
There are many versions on how to make this type of dessert. But for traditional Sapin-sapin dessert, here is the recipe that might be helpful for you.
½ cup rice galapong
1 ½ cups malagkit dough (galapong)
2 ½ cups white sugar
3 cups cooked ube (mashed)
4 cups thick coconut cream
2 big cans condensed milk
food coloring (violet & yellow)
grated coconut (fried)
How to prepare:
1. Combine the rice galapong and the malagkit dough. Divide the mixture into three equal parts.
2. For the first part, get a bowl and pour in the ube and the violet food coloring then mix it. Be sure to mix it well.
3. For the second part, get another bowl and pour the yellow food coloring. Mix again.
4. For the third part, just set it aside on another bowl.
5. Pour some oil into a baking pan. Make sure that the oil is evenly distributed throughout the pan.
6. Put the ube into it and steam for about ½ to 1 hour. Do this to the other parts and it’s time for you to combine the three.
7. After that, let it cool.
8. Sprinkle the fried grated coconut into the sapin-sapin.
9. It’s now ready to serve.
MORE FILIPINO FOOD RECIPES HERE:
- filipinofoods on HubPages
I'm a restaurant owner in Manila, Philippines. Cooking Filipino foods and other Asian dishes is my passion. I am proud of Filipino culture and have...