Savory Summer Salad Recipes
Marinated Cucumber And Red Onion Salad
Cucumber and onions go together so deliciously. We go through many onions in our kitchen.
This is a delicious marinated salad and a great way to use abundance of cucumbers this summer.
- 3 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- Slice cucumber in a large bowl, add salt and toss.
- Cover the bowl with a plate, laying directly on cucumbers, weight down with a one pound can.
- Set for two hours, drain and rinse well.
- In the serving bowl add lemon juice, oil, sugar, and dill mix.
- Mix in cucumbers and red onions, place in refrigerator overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Basic Salad Fixins'
We eat a salad with almost every meal at our house. I have started using the Romaine lettuce hearts, they come in packages of three or six. When you just buy the single Romaine lettuce a lot of the outside leaves are not usable.
Use the lettuce that you prefer. So with that said here is my salad makings!
The basics I usually start with, then add topping and add-ins:
- 1 Romaine lettuce heart or your favorite
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves or spring greens
- 4 medium dice tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber
- red onion rings or green onions
- red or green bell pepper rings
I mix this all together feel free to add or delete any items you do not like, mix and match until you find your favorite salad.
Top with your favorite dressing. Many time I just salt and pepper mine, leave it naked and dig in!
- Bacon Bits
- Cheese, shredded
- Feta Cheese
- Sunflower seeds
- Raw squash
- Cabbage, shredded
- Carrots, shredded
- Boiled eggs
- Dried fruit
Low Fat, Raw Vegan!
Fried Okra Salad Recipe
Here is a great recipe to use this summer when you have okra ready in your garden or you can buy it at the supermarket. Add your favorite meat, like fried chicken and corn on the cob for a delicious meal! This recipe will serve 8 to 10 people.
- 4 to 6 cups fried okra
- 6 slices crisp fried bacon, crumbled
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
Fry the okra in cornmeal batter as usual, drain on paper towels.
Mix these ingredients for the dressing together and shake making sure sugar dissolves.
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
Add to cooled okra, bacon, green onions, bell pepper and tomatoes.
Pour vinegar, oil and sugar dressing over okra mixture, stir and serve immediately.
Scrumptious Layered Salad Recipe
This in my books is the king of salads. It has all the things we love in one bowl.
It's layered with spinach, lettuce, boiled eggs, onions, green peas, celery, bell peppers, mushrooms, cheese, bacon, avocado and frosted with a dressing.
Wow so yummy! Allow for overnight refrigeration before serving.
Ingredients For Scrumptious Layered Salad:
- ½ head lettuce ( I like romaine, use any kind you like)
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (tops too)
- 1-16 ounce can green peas, drained
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 10 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- avocado (garnish)
- Okay we are ready to layered, get a large glass bowl.
- Wash, drain and tear lettuce and spinach into pieces.
- In a very large glass bowl, layer half the lettuce, eggs, onions, peas, spinach, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, Cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Mix dressing, mayonnaise and sour cream, frost with half the dressing.
- Repeat layers, sprinkle with remaining teaspoon sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Frost with remaining dressing.
- Cover with Monterey Jack cheese, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving garnish with avocado slices.
- If you desire, you may add a layer of chopped tomatoes.
Stunning Display For Your Salad!
A simple clear glass bowl makes a statement for any salad! If making a layered salad, it is a stunning display in this clear bowl!
Mexican Chef Salad Recipe
Mexican Chef Salad take a lettuce and tomato salad to the next level. It is loaded with ground beef, cheese, pinto beans, crunched tortilla chip and avocado slices.
Your choice of French or Thousand Island dressing brings It together for a delicious salad that is a meal.
My husband likes for me to leave the dressing off and he uses salsa on his instead.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium head lettuce, chopped
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounce bottle French Dressing
- 1-7 ounce bag tortilla chips, crunched ( I buy extra to eat along with salad)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-15 ounce can pinto beans, drained (I use the ranch style beans)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Let's put this Mexican Chef Salad together:
- Combine first seven ingredients and gently toss in a large bowl.
- Brown hamburger meat, add pinto beans, salt, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Toss hamburger mixture with salad mixture.
- Garnish with extra chips
For added flavor you can add a package of taco seasoning mix to hamburger meat, follow direction on package.
Betty's Turkey Salad
Turkey, Avocado And Pineapple Salad Recipe
This is a salad that will tingle your taste buds! Made with some of my favorite ingredients turkey, avocado and pineapple.
You could also use chicken if you like. Served in a hollowed out tomato or on lettuce leaf. Great for brunch or ladie's night out.
- ½ cups pineapple tidbits
- 1 avocado, diced ( see tip)
- 4 cups turkey or chicken, cooked and cubed
- ½ cup salad dressing
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together, refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Serve in a tomato or on lettuce leaf.
Slice avocado in half, remove seed. Then slice avocado lengthwise, turn and slice crosswise. You now have a diced avocado, remove by using a spoon.
Black-Eyed Pea Salad is made from canned black-eyed peas. It's filled with a mixture of tomatoes, avocado, green pepper, green onion and cilantro.
For spice you may add a jalapeno pepper or omit if you do not like spicy. It's brought together with Italian salad dressing.
- 1-15 ½ ounce can black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 medium size avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup green or red pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- Find a large clear glass bowl to mix this in, it makes a very pretty dish!
- Combine all the ingredients and add Italian salad dressing and toss to coat mixture well.
Makes 4 servings.
Ranch Cole Slaw is a quick and easy recipe. If you are looking for something different for a side dish, this recipe would fit in with just about any meal from sandwiches to pork Roast. It uses ranch salad dressing to add a different flavor to this delicious side.
- ¼ cup prepared ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 ¾ cups coleslaw mix
In a small bowl whisk together salad dressing, mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice.
Put cole slaw in serving bowl; add dressing and toss to coat.
Make 4 servings.
Do you buy or make your salad dressing?
Rate My Salad Recipes please! Thanks!
© 2016 Margie Lynn