- Food and Cooking
Authentic Mexican Ceviche Recipe
From the Authentic Mexican Cuisine series
I am quite uncertain as to why it is that Mexican Cuisine has not been exposed to the world in the way other cuisines such as the French or the Italian have been. I am pretty sure that when it comes to French food for example, you could name quite a few dishes from the top of your head without giving it much thought; this being specially true after the wonderful movie Julie & Julia –starring the multi-awarded Meryl Streep- and the not so wonderful book in which it was based. What an excellent movie, I just completely identify with Julia Child, who was totally and completely about FOOD. Anyway, back to the main idea here: the Authentic Mexican Food Series of articles I am writing is my personal attempt to make Mexican Cuisine if only a bit more exposed to the world, pretty much in the same way Julia wanted Americans to be able to cook French Food.
Ceviche: a Light and Fresh Mexican Fish Dish
Ceviche is a traditional cold fish dish that satisfies every palate. It is eaten everywhere in Mexico for its freshness and lightness, which is very welcomed whenever we are having warm weather. Ceviche can be prepared with many different kinds of fish but in this case we are using sawfish. If you ask the guy at the fish market to prepare the sawfish for you (take of the skin, bone, head and cut the clean filets in cubs), this is a fairly easy to make dish for casual and formal occasions. This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember and every time we have entertained with it, everyone loves it.
What you need for Ceviche:
6 servings (150g 0r 5.3 ounces sawfish per serving)
- 32 ounces (900g) clean sawfish filets diced (you can ask the guy at the fish market to do this for you)
- 1 medium onion
- 5 medium Egg Tomatoes
- ¼ cup cilantro or coriander (you can use the tender part of the stalk and leaves)
- 4 Hass avocados
- 2 to 3 Serrano Chili Peppers
- ½ cup lime juice (7 to 8 limes)
- ½ cup white vinegar
- Salt for seasoning
Easy to Make Step by Step Recipe for Ceviche:
Ceviche is a Raw Food Recipe, the Fish is Cooked with the Acidity of the Lime Juice
- Place the clean diced sawfish in a bowl. Add the lime juice, the white vinegar and a heaping tablespoon of salt.
- Mix well and let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The acidity of both the lime and the vinegar will cook the fish.
- To verify that the fish is cooked, cut a piece of fish and see if it is white inside. If it is, it is cooked, if it is still a bit pink, it needs some more soaking time to cook all the way through.
- Chop the egg tomatoes, onion and the cilantro, using the tender part of the stalk (upper part) and the leaves. Add to the preparation halfway through the cooking time or when the fish is already cooked.
- For this amount of Ceviche, we are adding 2 or 3 chopped Serrano chili peppers. This amount of chili won´t make the dish hot but if you still feel unsure about that, you can add the finely chopped chili little by little, mixing the preparation and trying it before adding the next bit. Given the fact that the degree of hotness is a subjective rather than an objective quantification, another option could be to serve the chili separately, so that everyone can add it to taste in their own serving. Furthermore, the hotness of a chili is actually contained in its seeds and veins, so if you want the flavor but say no to the hotness, you can devein the chili (cut off the white strings in the interior of the pepper) and discard the seeds, only adding the green part of the pepper.
- Verify the seasoning, add some more salt if necessary.
- Just before serving, dice the avocados and mix them into the dish. This will prevent the avocados from oxidizing and getting black.
- Serve with your choice of crackers or tortilla chips (as we do in Mexico) or any other kind of chips (pita, rice crackers, etc).
- I like to eat my Ceviche with whole grain crackers, top them with the fish preparation and drizzle with any of the following hot sauces:
Other good sauce options for Ceviche
More Traditional Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Avocado Soup
Easy to make recipe for a very healthy, creamy heartwarming hot soup made from a basic broth and avocado.
- Mexican Stuffed Chilies with Walnut Sauce Recipe
A balanced not-too-sweet version of Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Walnut Sauce topped with a beautiful garnish of pomegranate kernels, a sweet and savory traditional and festive Mexican dish famous for its unique blend of flavors and exotic compositio
- Authentic Mexican Habanero Salsa Recipe
Recipe for a not-so-well-known but delicious Mexican salsa, with a very refreshing flavor, made with red onion, “habanero” chilis and lime juice; plus tips to avoid making the salsa too hot.
- Authentic Mexican Sawfish Ceviche Recipe
A truly traditional and authentic Mexican dish recipe: “Ceviche” is a light and fresh cold dish made from fish cooked with lime juice and turned into a “cocktail” or “salad”, which can be served as a first or main course and eaten with crackers or to
Other Hubs you might be interested in
- Mexican Food; The History and Preparation
This is an article that tells about the history and preparation of Mexican cuisine. It gives a description of the most common ingredients and equipment used to prepare most Mexican cuisine. Included is a recipe as well as a video demonstrating how to