5-2 Diet Recipe; Scallops with Rocket Pesto and Ciabatta Toast
I have recently started the 5:2 Diet that I saw on the Horizon TV program featuring Michael Mosley, I was very impressed with the research that went into this and was more interested in the effects that the diet had on living a longer and better life and retaining all your mental faculties in peak condition as my late mother had dreadful problems with her memory in later life. I have now been on this diet, which is more of a lifestyle change than a diet and I have to say I have never been more relaxed about food since I was a teenager, basically 5 days of the week I can eat whatever I like, my cholesterol is at an all time low, I lose weight regardless of the amount of cake and chocolate I have consumed on my happy 5 days and although I thought I would find the 2 days where I fast during the day and eat a 450-500 calorie evening meal a struggle I am amazed that actually I don't struggle with this as I always think 'well tomorrow I can eat whatever I like' and if the day doesn't pan out and I do eat then I know I can always try again tomorrow (which so far has never happened), it fits into my lifestyle and I have to say I am more mentally alert and the weight is dropping off me.
I recently convinced a friend of mine to adopt this liberating lifestyle, yesterday was her first day, way to go Jane I am very proud of you, and so far so good. Her main problem seems to be that she is not a calorie counter by nature and has no idea what to eat on her fasting days so I've decided to set up a series of recipes that I love and use for all those out there that are looking for inspiration on our 5:2 Diet Days. And here is the first, despite not eating all day sometimes all I want is something lighter, or I may have had some soup first and am looking for a lighter option to have as a main course, and I hope that you all like it as much as I do and that you will have a look at the other recipes that I post as and when they appear on HubPages.
INGREDIENTS - SERVES 2
Handful of fresh Basil
85g Organic Baby Plum Tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Slices of Ciabatta Bread
½ Organic Garlic Clove, peeled (not crushed, leave whole)
For the Rocket Pesto:
35g Organic Rocket, finely chopped
¼ Organic Garlic Clove, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1¼ tsp White Wine Vinegar
Freshly ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt, to taste
- First of all take your scallops out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while you're making the Rocket Pesto.
- Place the rocket, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar and seasoning into a small food processor if you have some and blitz. I like to double the amount of this Pesto as it will keep in the refrigerator for a few days to add a flavor explosion to anything you fancy, it tastes great on Steak.
- If you don't have a food processor then place the finely chopped ingredients listed in the step above into a bowl, mix thoroughly and set aside so that the flavors will melt together.
- Roughly chop the Basil and place in a bowl with the quartered tomatoes.
- Add 1 tbsp of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, season and mix well.
- Pop your Ciabatta Bread in the toaster and lightly toast, or you can put this on the griddle, if using, while you cook your Scallops.
- Dip the Scallops in the remaining tablespoon of Olive Oil, season on both sides and place on a hot griddle or in a heavy frying pan over a high heat for 1½ minutes per side.
- Cover half your plates in a pool of Rocket Pesto.
- Place your Scallops on top of the Pesto.
- Rub the toasted Ciabatta with the peeled Garlic Clove.
- Place next to the Scallops and Pesto.
- Spoon the tomatoes and basil mixture over the Ciabatta.
- The 5-2 Diet Explained - A Lifestyle Change to Live Longer and Live Healthier
The 5:2 Diet - fasting but not as we know it - definitely more of an easy lifestyle change than a diet and even though it's fasting you eat every single day - try it you'll be very happy you did!