- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
The Easiest Seafood Gumbo Recipe Ever
To everyone who has ever made gumbo, you know, it is a bit of a process. There are several ingredients that need to be added in at the right time to ensure the best results. Living in Louisiana as a cook, this was one dish I had never heard of, but needed to learn to cook, so I found a way to make it quicker and easier. It very quickly became a favorite in my household as I am sure it will in yours too.
- 2 # bone in chicken breast, Defatted and halved
- 1- 14 oz whole oysters
- 2# shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-16 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 packs brown gravy mix
- 1/4 cup crab boil concentrate, (Zatarains)
- 1-2 cups okra, fresh/frozen
- 2 tsp. each salt/pepper, to taste
- 3 tsp. gumbo file, (sassafras leaves)
- 1 # sausage, (optional, added with seafood)
- First in a large pot half full of water, boil chicken and vegetables in the crab boil. (except okra)
- Remove chicken after about an hour out of the water, setting aside to cool.
- Mix gravy mix with 1/4 of needed water to get a smooth thick texture.
- Reducing heat to medium/medium high (acheiving a slow boil) reincorporate breast meat and gravy mixture.
- Add raw shrimp, okra, gumbo file and raw oysters to the pot. Stir occasionally until seafood is cooked, then pull off heat and serve.
- Serve with white rice and sweetened corn bread. Enjoy!