- Food and Cooking
Sweets: Semolina(Cream of Wheat) Sweet Balls (Rave Unde) Recipe
Semolina(Cream of Wheat) Sweet Balls
Wow! So beautiful! Semolina sweet ball is a traditional Indian sweet that is very tasty and flavorful. It is a popular dessert seen during festival occasions. Pure ghee is used in making this sweet.
Rave Laddoo or Semolina Sweet Balls : Introduction
They are lemon sized or a little bigger sweet balls made mainly from semolina, sugar, and the spices. It is one of the easy to cook sweets, very popular in India. You need not search for the ingredients for this recipe, as they are easily available in the market. This sweet turns out flavorful and juicy. They remain fresh for 4-5 days at room temperature. However, you can preserve for 10-12 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 1/2 cup semolina (medium size)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 5 cardamom, powdered
- nutmeg, small piece, powdered
- raisins, fistful
- 2 tbsp cashew nut pieces
- 4-5 tsp ghee
- 1/2 cup hot milk, optional
Step-by step Images of Making Semolina Sweet Balls
How to make this dessert ?
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp ghee in a pan / kadhai. Add cashew nuts and raisins. Fry them till they are crispy. Strain, remove on a plate. Let the remaining ghee be in the pan. Add the leftover ghee. When the ghee melts, add semolina. Fry it in low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add grated coconut, continue frying for 2-3 minutes. Remove the mix in a bowl. Now it is the time to make sugar syrup. Pour sugar to the same pan. Add 1/2 cup water. Let the fire be medium low. Stir once. Sugar dissolves. It starts boiling. When it reaches single string consistency, put off the fire.
- Add semolina-coconut mix, roasted cashewnuts, raisins, powdered cardamom and nut meg to the sugar syrup. Mix well. Semolina absorbs sugar syrup, turns thick. Leave it for some time.
- When the mix becomes a little cool, if you can handle, take a fistful of the mix in your palm, hold and press such a way that one or two raisins shows up in the sweet ball. This caution is just to make it more attractive.
- Make balls from the entire mix. In the end you may find it difficult to bind the mix to form ball. In such case either add few drops of hot milk or heat the mix a little. It will make the task easy.
- Arrange the sweet balls (Rave Unde) on a serving bowl. Enjoy eating them after few hours, at least after 6 hours. It takes time to set properly. Enjoy eating this dessert! Send me the feedback!
What is Single String Consistency ?
When the sugar syrup starts boiling, it reaches a stage that, if you hold a drop of the syrup in between your index and thumb finger and, stretch outward, you will get a single thread. This is called single string consistency.
|Serving size: 69 g (1 sweet ball)|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 45 g||15%|
|Sugar 29 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 25 mg||8%|
|Sodium 14 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|