Rave Unde (Rava Laddu) Recipe
Rave Unde (Rava Laddu)
What are Rave Unde or Rava Laddu
Rave Unde are lemon-sized or a little bigger-sized sweet balls mainly made from semolina, sugar, ghee, cashew nuts, raisins, and cardamom powder. It is one of the easy sweets that you can make in a jiffy. It is a very popular traditional Indian sweet. The ingredients for making this sweet dish are easily available in the market.
Rava Laddus are flavorful and juicy. They remain fresh for 4-5 days at room temperature. However, you can preserve them for 10-12 days in a refrigerator.
- 1 1/2 cup semolina (medium-sized)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 5 cardamom, powdered
- nutmeg, small piece, powdered
- raisins, fistful
- 2 tbsp cashew nut pieces
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/2 cup hot milk, optional
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp ghee in a pan/kadhai. Add cashew nuts and raisins.
- Fry them till they are crispy. Strain, remove on a plate. Let the remaining ghee be in the pan.
- Add the remaining ghee. When the ghee melts, add semolina. Fry it in a low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and continue frying for 2-3 minutes. Remove the mix in a bowl.
- Now it is the time to make sugar syrup. Pour sugar to the same pan. Add 1/2 cup water. Let the fire be medium-low. Stir once. Sugar dissolves. It starts boiling. When it reaches single-string consistency, turn off the fire.
- Add semolina-coconut mix, roasted cashew nuts, raisins, powdered cardamom and nutmeg to the sugar syrup. Mix well.
- Semolina absorbs sugar syrup, turns thick. Leave it for some time.
- When the mix becomes a bit cold, if you can handle, take a fistful of the mix in your palm, hold and press such a way that one or two raisins show up in the sweet ball. This step is just to make it more attractive.
- Make all the balls. In the end, you may find it difficult to bind the mix to form balls. In that case, either add a few drops of hot milk or heat the mix a little. It will make the task easy.
- Arrange Rave Unde on a serving bowl or plate. Enjoy eating them after a few hours, at least after 6 hours.
- It takes time to set properly. Enjoy eating this dessert! Send me the feedback!
What is Single String Consistency ?
When the sugar syrup starts boiling, it reaches a stage, in which, if you hold a drop of the syrup in between your index and thumb finger and stretch outward, you will get a single thread. This is called single-string consistency.
Adding milk while making Rava Laddu surely enhances the taste a bit. But, it reduces the duration of the freshness of the sweet. So, if you want to store Rava Laddu for a longer time, use water instead of milk.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 45 g||15%|
|Sugar 16 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|