- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Fiji style semolina idly. There are different styles of idly most of them are made with rice and urdh dhal. Semolina idly can be made on the day in half an hour. Not only it taste good but it is also easy to make. You can eat semolina idly for breakfast or as a snack at tea time. This is my all time childhood favorite snack.
- 2 cups Semolina
- 2 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons Yogurt
- 1 small Onion, chopped finely
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1/4 Teaspoon Mustard seed
- Water, as required
- To Taste Salt
- 5 Curry leaves
- In a bowl add semolina, baking powder and mix well. Add yogurt and mix well
- In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and onions fry for 2 mins.
- Add the sautéed onions in semolina mixture mix well adding a little water to the batter add salt to taste and mix well.
- Get the idly pot add the batter evenly into idly tray. Steam it for 15 mins or until cooked.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney and sambar. Enjoy. I personally prefer with coconut chutney.
Make sure your batter is not too thick or to thin it should be just right consistency. Just like dosa batter.
You can add chillies to the idly batter to give it extra flavor. I dont put it as I make it for my kids.
Serve it as a snack for afternoon tea or for breakfast with sambar and chutney.
© 2014 Asweeni's Kitchen