- Food and Cooking
The Best Chili Recipe
The Chili Recipe Pot
The Best Bowl of Chili Recipe
Since it is December and getting down into the 40's here in New Orleans I thought I would let you all in on this fabulous chili recipe. This is a seriously epic chili so be prepared to spend a little cash to make it happen. When it happens you will be glad it did happen. At the same time it makes a huge amount that can be eaten for days by 5 people. I like to make chili dogs and chili cheese burgers after a couple of days to use the leftovers. Just like any soup or stew this chili tastes better as it sits in the fridge getting happy.
There is a technique you need to use to make use of the drippings left behind by the meats so that it all gets included into the final product so don't throw away anything except the onion peels and bell pepper stems.
To Serve: Put some in a bowl, throw a hand full of cheese on top then a big spoon of sour cream and sprinkle with more chili powder and some parsley. Eat it with corn chips, you will be happy you did.
- Begin by cutting the roast into bite size pieces. Put some olive oil and butter in a pan and sear the meat on both sides, but not cooking thru, seasoning with salt and pepper. When it's seared put it in your pot. After all the beef is done, put the ground pork into the same pan and season. When the pork is done put it in the pot with the beef.
- Add some olive oil, butter and the mushrooms into the drippings left in the pan. Seasoning them with salt and pepper and a 1/4 cup of red wine or red wine vinegar. Scrape the pan to get all the bits off the bottom. Cook the mushrooms until they look yummy and almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Taste one, if it is indeed yummy add them to the pot when they are done.
- Chop the bacon and add it to the pan. Reserve the drippings and add the bacon to the pot. At this point add all of the tomatoes, beans and the seasonings to the meat in the pot. Also add 2 cups of beef stock and get the heat going to get it to a simmer.
- While the pot is coming up to a simmer cook the Trinity (Onions, Bell Pepper and Celery) in the bacon drippings. Scrape the bottom when the onions start letting their moisture out. When the Trinity is soft and done add it and the drippings to the pot. Cover and simmer for 3 hours or until the beef pieces melt in your mouth.
The Meat and Vegetables
- 3 Pounds Sirloin Roast, Cubed
- 1 Pound Bacon, Chopped
- 1 Pound Ground Pork, Not Sausage
- 2 Packs Baby Portabello Mushrooms, Sliced
- 4 Sweet Onion, Diced
- 2 Bell Pepper, Diced
- 5 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Can Tomato Puree
- 2 Cans Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Season Salt
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, Not Garlic Salt
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder, Not Onion Salt
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Tsp Chipotle Powder, Sub Cayenne if needed
- 2 Cans Red Kidney Beans
- 2 Cans Chili Beans
- 1 Can Pinto Beans
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Cans Beef Broth, Prefer Home made
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine, Sub with Red Wine Vinegar