Shortbread Cookie Recipes
To me it is just not Christmas until I have made Shortbread. My Grandmother made shortbread every Christmas and my first recipe is from her. I should add that she was from Paisley Scotland, so this recipe is genuine shortbread.
Cook and Prep Time When Using a Stand Mixer
Grandmas Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients for Grandmas Shortbread Recipe
- 1 pound of Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup (packed) icing sugar
- 4 cups of Flour
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees
- Beat and cream butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar and flour. Mix with your fingers (make sure your hands are clean) until all is well blended.
- Make into several balls and pat out on a floured counter top or wax paper.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to about ½ “ thick.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutter. You can also make the dough into a pie shape and place it into a pie pan. Score a design into the shortbread pie.
- Bake in oven until set and very light brown. Every oven is different so time fluctuates. I just keep checking after about ten minutes.
- Remove shortbread cookies with a spatula, and set onto a cooling rack.
Refrigerate Dough and Easily Cut
Sometimes with this recipe I will make the dough into logs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until the next day. Then I simply cut with a sharp knife into cookies and decorate with sprinkles, chocolate chips, or blended granulated sugar.
Every Kitchen Needs one of these!
Using a stand mixer for shortbread
This year I decided to try Grandmas Shortbread recipe using my stand mixer. It was so much easier than kneading and kneading with my hands, and with the time I saved I was able to make some peanut butter banana cookies for the dogs.
It's not Christmas Until I Make Shortbread Cookies
The next recipe comes from an old friend and these are very good!
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Pound of Butter
- 3 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 2 Tbs Granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend one cup of sugar in blender for thirty seconds.
- Add the sugar to softened butter and cream until fluffy.
- Combine flour and rice flour, and beat into butter gradually.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Add up to ½ more flour if needed.
- Press into a 15 x 9” cookie sheet.
- Score into bars with a sharp knife. Prick surface with a fork up and down the dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs of sugar.
- Bake to a golden brown, which takes 30-40 minutes.
- Cut along scored lines, cool and store in an airtight container. Makes 48 bars.
Three cookie sheets are better than one. These come in 3 sizes, are dishwasher safe, and they're non stick.
This next recipe is from my Aunts collection
- 1 Pound of Butter
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Icing Sugar
- 1 ½ Tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Corn Starch
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Beat butter until white.
- Beat in all the following as you add it. Add sugar and cornstarch gradually. Add vanilla, and then add flour gradually.
- Drop by teaspoons onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Makes 100 cookies.
Some years I make all three of these recipes if I have the time to do so. But not a year goes by that I do not make my Grandmothers Shortbread.
Thanks for visiting, and I hope that you enjoy these recipes. If you'd like to see more of my articles and recipes, please pop by my profile page.