- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Shredded Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Do you need something fast and easy that cooks while you're away? Try these shredded chicken sandwiches in a homemade barbecue sauce. These great sandwiches are easy to make and partner great with any kind of potato side dish or salad.
This sandwich is perfect for any season and is so versatile it can even be whipped up in large batches to be served at pot lucks, backyard barbeques, and large luncheon's.
- 4 Chicken breasts
- 1/2 Tsp. Seasoned salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbs. Oil
- 2/3 cup Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. Brown mustard
1.) Season chicken with seasoning salt and paprika.
2.) Pan sear or grill for about 8 mins.
3.) Combine oil, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard into a slow cooker.
4.) Add chicken and heat until cooked through. I simmer on slow for the whole day just to allow the sauce to soak into the chicken.
When I get home I turn it off and make the potatoes, or other side dish.
I use a counter grill called the for all my indoor grilling. It's perfect for grilling indoors and even allows me to grill frozen chicken in those situations where I have forgotten to thaw the chicken the night before. I absolutely love this future, and it works incredibly well. I was skeptical at first, but it truly does cook frozen foods evenly. Optigrill
With 6 automatic cooking programs I can be sure that my chicken will be cooked to my preferences, whether its frozen or fresh. All I have to do is push the chicken program and my grill does all the work.
The Optigrill does all the work for me and even tells me how done the chicken is. It has lights and audible beeps to let me know when the grill is pre-heated, as well as when the chicken is rare, medium, and fully cooked. I don't have to keep opening the grill or checking on the chicken no matter the thickness, because this grill tells me without fail when my chicken is perfectly cooked. All I have to do is set it and wait for my appliance to do all the work. It really does not get any easier than that.
The grill plates are nonstick and come out easily making them super easy to clean. The plates as well as the grease drip tray are also dishwasher safe. This grill is small enough that it fits in my cabinet as well as on my counter, but it's large enough that I can grill 2 breasts of chicken at the same time.
If you are looking for an indoor grill you don't have to look any further. This one is perfect for chicken and is a lot easier to use than pan frying or firing up the outdoor grill for a few chicken breasts.
Ten sides for bbq chicken sandwiches:
The best way to compliment a sandwich is by creating a delicious side to go with it. These are the top ten sides that I love pairing with this sweet, smokey, delicious bbq chicken sandwich.
- Coleslaw: With a creamy, crunchy, and tangy profile, coleslaw truly is the perfect side for a barbecue sandwich.
- Broccoli, apple, and radish slaw: This tangy slaw adds the perfect crunch and cuts through the fatty sweet flavors of the chicken sandwich.
- Fruit salad: Juicy sweet fruits tone down the richness in this sandwich, and offer up a healthy refreshing side dish option.
- Potato salad: The creamy richness of potato salad complements this sandwich nicely. Add bacon and the smoky flavor ties the whole meal together.
- Cold noodle salads: Perfect for those hot summer days cold noodle salads add creamy tangy flavors that merry beautifully with the flavors of this barbecue chicken sandwich.
- Baked beans: Not just a side for hot dogs and burgers anymore. You can create so many different flavor profiles with baked beans which makes this the number one favorite summer side dish for any barbecue flavored sandwich.
- Macaroni and cheese: A childhood favorite for many, mac and cheese makes a complimentary side dish for these barbecue chicken sandwiches on any summer day.
- Crispy potato wedges: You can never go wrong with french fries. Seasoned crispy wedges are no different, and an absolute favorite in my house.
- Grilled corn: What is a barbecue without grilled corn? This bbq chicken sandwich may not be "true" barbecue food, but it still pairs great with grilled corn slathered in butter, sprinkled with salt , and topped with parmesan or crumbled feta cheese.
- Deviled Eggs: It wouldn't be a barbecue without deviled eggs. If you are looking for something small yet satisfy deviled eggs are the way to go. These little bite sized side dishes are the perfect vehicle to add and play with flavors. The flavor profiles for these delicious dishes are truly endless.
We have our meat, all our tasty sides, but what do we put this meat on? Hamburger buns may be everyone's first choice but I like to do things outside the box. Especially when it comes to cooking and serving my food. I personally don't like generic hamburger buns as they tend to fall apart and get soggy when too much meat or sauce gets on them. Instead, I have compiled a short list of alternative options that will stand up to such a saucy, deliciously messy sandwich.
- Ciabatta buns are my absolute favorite for this sandwich. A little butter and then seared or grilled creates a soft outer top layer with a crunchy bottom that can withstand the saucy meat piled high.
- Split Kaiser and French rolls can also hold up to the saucy mess better than generic hamburger buns.
- Potato rolls are on the softer side and resemble regular hamburger buns, however they are a little better at holding together and not melting away to nothing when the bbq chicken is added.
- Hawaiian buns contain the right amount of sweetness that pairs perfectly with these sandwiches. Making these the best buns for bbq chicken sliders.
All you have left to do is sit back and enjoy this sandwich. Whether you are hosting a backyard barbecue, getting ready for a football party, or simply looking for a quick and easy dinner this sandwich is the perfect family and crowd pleaser.
© 2012 Cholee Clay