- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Combinations that go with Shrimp Biryani.
- Raita (a mixture of plain yogurt with onions) goes well with Shrimp Biryani
- Mirchi Salan (green chili cooked in tangy tomato paste and a variety of spices and nuts) also goes well with shrimp biryani.
- 1 spoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 spoon red chili powder
- 1 spoon coriander powder
- cinnamon sticks
- green cardamom
- mace strands
- half spoon shah jeera
- bay leaves
- black pepper
- star anise
- black cardamom
- green chili
- mint leaves
- coriander leaves
- 3 cups Basmathi rice
- canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 spoons yogurt
- fried onions
- 2 tablespoons biryani masala powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala powder
Instructions on how to marinate shrimp.
- Add half a spoon of salt, one spoon of ginger garlic paste, one spoon of coriander powder and one spoon of red chili powder to the shrimp and mix thoroughly. Keep it aside for about 2 hours. This is to allow the shrimp to absorb the spices.
- Shrimp should be cooked under medium heat.
Instructions on how to cook shrimp (do not cover the wok when cooking).
- Add whole garam masala ( 4 green cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, 10 cloves, half a spoon of mace strands) and cumin seeds in quick succession after the oil warms up sufficiently. Cook for about 3 minutes. You will know when they are done, when the spices emanate a sweet smell.
- Add the marinated shrimp to the mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Place the shrimp separately on a plate.
Shrimp when it is done.
- The biryani rice should be cooked between medium and high heat.
Instructions on how to make biryani rice(do not cover the container when cooking).
- Add 6 cups of water (1cup basmatihi rice = 2 cups water). Add 1 spoon of salt and 3 spoons of oil to the water. Wait until the water boils. The water should taste salty.
- After the water boils add the following.
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- half a spoon of shah jeera
- half a spoon of mace strands
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 black cardamom
- 2 star anise
Allow the ingredients to boil in the water. You will know when its done when the green and black cardamom start to swell up. Also the spices emanate a sweet smell.Add the soaked basmathi rice to the boiling water.
3. Cook the rice until its 70 percent done. Pick up a grain of rice. When you touch it, it feels slightly hard and almost done.
- The shrimp biryani should be cooked between medium and high heat.
Instructions on how to make shrimp biryani (cover the wok when cooking).
- Add 2 spoons of yogurt, a handful of coriander leaves, a handful of mint leaves, 2 green chilis and salt in quick succession. Cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of biryani masala powder and mix thoroughly. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and mix thoroughly. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked basmathi rice as a second layer.
- Sprinkle the following on the basmathi rice.
- The remaining coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Add a tablespoon of garam masala powder.
- Sprinkle 2 handfuls of fried onions. (I forgot this step. My apologies for doing that.)
6. Cover the wok and cook for about 12 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat. Keep the dish covered for about 10 minutes on the kitchen counter. Mix the rice and shrimp gently from the sides bottom up (do not start in the middle as it would break the rice).
Instructions on how to make basic Raita.
- Cut one-fourth of an onion into small cubes.
- Add about 4 spoons of yogurt.
- sprinkle coriander leaves. ( I did not have coriander leaves.)
- Pour about one-fourth glass of water and add a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly.
© 2015 serenity