- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Shrimp Risotto. Easy wheat and gluten free main or appetizer.
Simple Ingredients make for a Delicious Dish
Rate this recipe
A brief history of Risotto
Risotto was created in Italy somewhere between the 14th and 16th century. Rice was introduced to Italy by the Moors who ruled Spain, Portugal and Southern Italy. Italy offered a perfect climate for growing short grain rice and it became a staple of the Italian and Spanish peoples.
Served as either an appetizer or main course Risotto consists of four main ingredients: Stock, sauteed vegetables, herbs and flavourings and cheese. To this you can add fish or meat as desired.
The following recipe is adapted from epicurious at www.epicurious.com
Risotto with Shrimp and Parmesan Cheese
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, If cooking for gluten free check ingredients when using pre-bought stocks and cubes
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine, dry is preferable
- 2 cups Fresh baby spinach leaves or peas or sauteed asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, use 1 tblsp dried if fresh not available
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, As fresh as possible - not processed
- 1 pound peeled uncooked large shrimp
- 2 tblsp Olive Oil
- Peel shrimp and bring stock to a gentle boil. Add shrimp to stock and cook for 3 minutes. Remove shrimp and keep in a covered bowl. Reduce heat under stock to keep warm.
- Heat oil and cook onions and garlic until soft - do not brown, add rice and stir. Cook rice until edges are translucent and middle is still white stirring constantly and add wine. Cook until wine is absorbed.
- Add the stock x 3/4 cup at a time. Stir rice and add as liquid is absorbed into rice. You may end up with a little stock left over. Rice should absorb liquid but still have a creamy texture.
- Stir in vegetables until blended, stir in basil, then the shrimp and finally the parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Place in a serving dish and garnish with parmesan cheese.
calories: 375, fat: 12g, carbs: 28g, protein: 37g (per serving)