- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Seafood Salad Recipe: Shrimp Salad with Vegetables and Nuts
How do you like this recipe?
Tasty and Healthy Shrimp Salad
Traditional Chinese food doesn't include salad on the menu. I didn't know we could eat raw vegetables until after I had my first garden salad at an American restaurant in the US. It was loaded with fresh lettuce, tomato, cucumber and topped with salad dressing. It was so delicious. Over the years, I have tasted different types of salads and also have learned to create the ones that I like - vegetable salad, fruit salad, combo salad mixed with vegetables, fruits, nuts and meats.
Combo salads are my favorite salad because they are very tasty and healthy. Here are the common ingredients I would choose from each of the following groups:
- Vegetables: romaine lettuce, grape tomato, carrot and cucumber
- Fruits: avocado, apple, mandarin, tangerine, raisin, and dried cranberry
- Nuts: Walnut, cashew nut, and pecan
- Meats: shrimp, grilled chicken breast and boiled egg.
Homemade Salad Dressing
I prefer to use homemade salad dressing instead of buying one from a store because I get to control what I want to add to my salad. In this shrimp salad recipe, I only use olive oil and a dab of salt.
- 1 lb Shrimps, shelled and unviced
- 10 oz Cherry Tomatos
- 2 bunches Roman Lettuce
- 1 cup Walnuts, shelled
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese or Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- few pieces Ginger
- a pinch Salt and Pepper
- In a large skillet, boil the water with garlic and ginger, then add in the shrimps. Cook for about 2 minutes or until the shrimps are fully cooked. (Large shrimps take longer to cook.) Remove only the shrimps to a bowl and drain. You can drink the shrimp soup.
- Wash the romaine lettuce, drain, cut them in small pieces.
- Wash the cherry tomato.
- In a large bowl, mix in shrimps, romaine lettuce, cherry tomato, walnuts, cashew nuts, raisins, dried Cranberries, and Olive oil.
- Put the mixture equally in four plates. Sprinkle some Feta cheese or Parmesan cheese on top of the salad, add some salt and pepper to taste.
Cobb Salad with Eggs
One thing I really love salad is that you can create it with the food you like which makes it taste good. You can replace the shrimps with eggs, or add in fresh fruit like apple, for example.
How to boil eggs?
Pick the eggs that have no crack.
Wash the eggs.
Carefully put the eggs in a pot with 3-5 cups of water.
Bring and water to a boil, then turn the heat to low.
Simmer it for 15 minutes.
How to Crack A Cooked Egg Smoothly
The best time to crack an egg smoothly is right after the egg is cooked when it is still hot. Put the egg in a large bowl of cold or icy water. Egg shell doesn't shrink or expand due to cold or hot water like the way egg white does. When a boiled egg is in cold water, the egg white shrinks but the egg shell remains the same which automatically detached from each other. Crack the egg immediately and you'll have a very smooth boiled egg. If you wait for too long, you'll have a harder time removing the egg shell because the egg is still hot inside and it'll cause the egg to expand which makes it hard to remove the shell as a result.