Best Asian Soup Recipes: Chinese Shrimp, Spinach And Tofu Soup Recipe
Shrimp, Tofu and Spinach Soup
Some people shudder when they think of tofu but personally, I like it. I mostly love the healthy properties associated with it and as long as it is in something else such as a soup or a smoothie, it works for me!
This is actually an adaptation of the Chinese spinach and tofu soup as Bob could not 'stomach' just the tofu and spinach; however, with the shrimp added, even he found it very palatable. (Of course, Bob can spot tofu from a mile away no matter what dish I put it in)
It is one of those could not be easier to make soups and when you are looking for either a light first course to an Asian meal (or any meal) or a lighter than usual supper, this is the ticket.
RECIPE FOR SHRIMP, TOFU AND SPINACH SOUP
Here on Amazon
This serves 4 (unless you are at my house, then it serves 5 as Bob will gladly give up some)
- Large peeled shrimp or medium-sized peeled shrimp (I add anywhere between 10-20 depending on the size) If uncooked shrimp, make sure you cook until pink in color
- 3-inch block fresh tofu – firm preferred
- 1/2 bunch fresh, washed spinach (or watercress or lettuce)
- 3 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable or beef)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Matchstick carrots (optional)
- Green onions (optional)
- Cut tofu into 12 small pieces each about 1/4 inch thick.
- Tear spinach or cut into small pieces.
- Bring the broth to rolling boil in wok.
- Add tofu, shrimp and soy sauce. Add other ingredients except green onions if using.
- Bring back to boil and simmer for about 2 minutes
- Add spinach and simmer for another minute.
- Skim the surface to make broth clear, adjust seasoning and serve immediately.