- Food and Cooking
Sicilian Orange Salad
Rate My Recipe
An Easy Sicilian Appetizer
A lot of friends and family back in the states frequently ask me for recipes that I have picked up while living in Italy. This is blood orange season in Sicily, so many restaurants offer this simple orange salad as an appetizer or a side dish. It sounds a little odd, but has a fresh flavor that is great for spring and summer. My recipe was made with blood oranges, but if you don't have access to them any fresh oranges will work.
- 6 small oranges
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- approx 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- to taste salt & pepper
- optional crushed red pepper & parsley
- Peel the oranges and slice into circles as shown in the first photo above. Place in a bowl or on a platter. Note: blood oranges are sometimes hard to peel, so you may need to use a knife to cut away the skin.
- Chop scallions and sprinkle them over the orange slices.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and/or crushed red pepper over oranges if desired.
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing mixture over the orange slices.
- Stir oranges a couple of times to mix all ingredients together. Serve and enjoy!
The Citrus Press That I Use
I have often found myself fishing for lemon seeds when using fresh lemon juice. I finally broke down and bought a citrus press, and it makes things much easier when using fresh lemon or lime juice in recipes. This is the citrus press that I use in my kitchen. There may be better ones out there, but this one works great and the price can't be beat.