Simple 4 ingredient recipe
Aubergines with cheese sauce
This simple dish of aubergines in cheese sauce can be prepared ahead of time ready for baking when required. Serve with crusty bread.
Ingredients (to serve 4)
2 large aubergines
400g / 14 oz of grated cheese of your choosing, but cheddar works fine.
600 ml / 1 pint of savoury white sauce
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Slice the aubergines into thick slices of about 1/4" / 5mm
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and then add the aubergine slices and cook until golden brown on both sides.
3. Preheat the oven to 180c / 350f / Gas 4. Mix most of the grated cheese into the savoury white sauce, holding some back to sprinkle on top of the finished dish.
4. Arrage a layer of the augergines in an ovenproof dish and pour over some sauce. Repeat, ending with sauce. Sprinkle the top with the remaining grated cheese.
5. Bake for 35-40 mins minutes until golden. Serve with crusty bread.