Simple, Easy and Tasty Barley Casserole!
Barley is one of the world's healthiest foods. It is a major cereal grain and even comes from the grass family. Although often used as an ingredient in beer, it also makes a fantastic and healthy food dish on it's own. The finished product is appealing for its soft and moist texture, similar to rice and has a nice grain taste. Aside from this, there are several health benefits for adding more barley to your diet. Here are a few below.
Reasons why Barley is so healthy:
*It contains a lot of fiber and is great for intestinal health.
*Barley helps with maintaining a lower cholesterol level, since it has high levels of beta glucan.
*Barley carries the "healthy" kind of bacteria and also helps prevent colon cancer.
*It's a great source of niacin, which is good for the cardiovascular system.
*Barley can help prevent gallstones!
There are several more reasons why this grain is great for you and your body, but here is a favorite recipe of mine. This dish doesn't last more than a day whenever we have made it at home in the past, and it's definitely a keeper. It's super easy to make and quite filling!
- 1/2 Cup Barley
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Small Can Mushrooms, With juice
You'll need a casserole dish!
- In a large sauce pan or skillet, melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and the barley together until the barley turns brown.
- Combine it all in a casserole dish, and add one small can of mushrooms (with juice). Then, mix it up.
- Add the chicken broth, stir and cover.
- Bake covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 F.
- Uncover, and sprinkle with slivered almonds, and bake for 10 more minutes. Do not recover the dish for the last 10 minutes.
Eat it hot as a side dish, or cold as a snack! It surely won't disappoint!