- Food and Cooking
Simple easy to make Golden crumpets
Cooking Simple Easy Golden Crumpets
If you are like me and love winter and eating Golden Crumpets then continue reading. I have tested this Simple easy to make Golden Crumpet recipe and they turned out great on my first try.
I decided to give this recipe a go after seeing our local store was charging $4 for 6 crumpets, to me that was a rip off. As this was a quick experiment and all I had was the egg rings they are very small and I would suggest buying the larger crumpet rings.
They are too small and of course when I put them in my toaster I could hardly see them, in fact I had to turn the toaster upside down to retrieve them when cooked.
So if you love crumpets and want to give it a go then try this simple Recipe. As they are definitely easy to make from start to eating in about two hours, it takes longer because you have to wait for the batter to rise.
Stainless steel mixing bowl
Ingredients and Preparation time
This Recipe made 12 small Crumpets so you could double the ingredients to make more.
Preparation: 10 minutes. Cooking and time for yeast to cure approximately 2 hours
Plus you can bag them and freeze for another day.
- 225grams plain flour
- 170mls warm milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 170mls warm water- add a little at the time to get right consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter or oil to grease rings and fry pan
Method for mixing
- Place the flour, milk, sugar and yeast into dish and beat together. When combined gradually add some water and beat into the batter, continue to add more water so the batter is thick and no lumps or like thick cream
- Cover with cling wrap and leave in a dry warm place until it bubbles like foam approximately 1, to 2 hours. Depending on room warmth
- Add the salt and baking powder into the batter and mix well.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan on the stove not too hot.
- Grease the base of the frying pan and crumpet rings measuring about 3"x 1 ½".
- Place rings in the heated pan, add enough batter to fill just below the top of the rings. Cook for five minutes or until tiny holes cover the surface showing crumpet is setting. turn the crumpet over and cook for another two – three minutes.
- Repeat until all the batter is used. Place the crumpets on a wire rack to cool. Now cook as normal in a toaster or under the grill.
- Serve with lots of butter or jam.
A word of caution: If you find the batter running under rings, make sure surface of pan is flat.
Another reason could be the batter is too thin- add a little more flour
On the other hand: If the batter is too thick mix in a little more water.
My favorite topping is golden syrup just like the name Golden Crumpets suggests.
Stainless steel fry pan
How to make Crumpets
Did you know you can freeze crumpets?
I found the best way to freeze crumpets is to lay them flat in a freezer bag. By laying them flat they do not stick together and make it easier and quicker to thaw out and cook so you can enjoy your crumpets quicker.