- Food and Cooking
Simple Edamame Succotash Recipe
Succotash had its origins during the Great Depression, with readily available ingredients, traditionally made with corn and lima beans. This recipe has been tweaked slightly by the substitution of edamame, to pack a nutritional punch. Rich in the B vitamin folate, and protein, this succotash screams healthy.
Frozen corn and edamame are readily available at most grocery stores, which makes this very easy to assemble. If you can find edamame out of the pod, it is much easier. But if not, just heat the pods in the microwave until warm, and squeeze the beans out into a bowl.
I like to use different color peppers for this recipe for visual effect. It is a vibrant, colorful dish once assembled! I love cilantro, so that was my herb of choice. I like to pick the leaves off and leave them whole, in case there are cilantrophobes in the crowd. Those are the people who claim cilantro tastes like soap! Parsley and basil are great substitutions.
Use a splash of your favorite Italian salad dressing to finish it off. I use a lemon garlic vinaigrette that my family is addicted to!
The finished product is visually appealing, and is family friendly, as the corn sweetens the dish to please most children's palates. Enjoy!
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs
- 1-2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- salt and pepper
- In a fry pan ( I prefer my cast iron pan), heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers. Salt and pepper. Saute until just beginning to soften 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue one minute. Add the frozen corn and edamame. Continue to Saute until heated through about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and continue to cook one minute more. Turn off the heat, and add the fresh herbs and dressing. Taste for salt and pepper. Gently toss and transfer to a serving dish. Can be eaten warm or room temperatute.
Step by Step
Protein that goes well with Succotash
- Lime Marinated Salmon
Simple ingredients come together to give this salmon a lot of flavor.
- 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Glazed Ham
Only 4 ingredients to make this delicious ham. Great for entertaining!
- The Ultimate Meatloaf Recipe
Use America's Test Kitchen cooking method to make the Ultimate Meatloaf. This classic comfort food is a family favorite!