Simple Espresso Mudslide Recipe
If you're ever into both cocktails and dessert drinks, why not have both in one glass. A fine example would be a mudslide. Smooth, silky and full of kick, it's the alcoholic dessert drink suited for any sweet tooth out there. If you're also into coffee like espresso, even better since there's also a variation with that in mind.
This recipe will show you the ropes for making your very own espresso mudslide drink at home. However, let me remind you that this is strictly an adult item so please drink responsibly.
What Is A Mudslide Anyway?
The Mudslide is actually a spinoff to another cocktail known as the 'White Russian.' The latter differs simply by calling on some cream as opposed to Irish cream, though it's fun to mention that some Mudslide recipes tend to call for both creams.
How It's Made
Mudslide is a petty simple drink to make. It consists of three ingredients--vodka, coffee liquor, and Irish cream--all combined in equal parts along with some ice in a shaker. The drink is then poured and served in a chilled lowball glass or sometimes a hurricane glass.
In terms of garnish, there are quite a few options to choose from. Traditionally, the surface of the Mudslide is dusted with cocoa powder. Alternatively, the insides of the glass are garnished with chocolate swirls or rings and chilled before the drink is poured in. Or sometimes, whipped cream is plopped on top instead. Whichever you choose will certainly make this drink stand out.
Our Mudslide will substitute brewed espresso for the coffee liquor and use a chocolate ring for the garnish to keep things simple yet cute. If you have an espresso maker, a drip coffee maker or press for your espresso, then you're set. Of course, if you don't have any of these machines, some instant espresso is fine. However, espresso goes down way better when brewed. So if you have a machine, don't cheap out on the real thing.
Other Mudslide Variations
As mentioned before, a Mudslide functions as a simple offspring to White Russian but it too has its own offsprings. A 'Frozen Mudslide' substitutes ice cream for the Irish cream and is geared more towards frozen dessert lovers. A 'Soda Mudslide' is pretty self-explanatory and is meant for sodaholics.
Other interesting takes on Mudslide swap the vodka or coffee liquor with other spirits and coffee types respectively. From there, the list just goes on and on.
For a better idea of what you can do with a Mudslide recipe, you can learn more by following this link.
- Before making this cocktail, make sure you have the right glass for the occasion. Remember, it's either a lowball glass or a hurricane glass.
- If you're planning to grind some espresso, use an espresso maker if you have one as it's best suited for the task, though you can still get away with using a coffee maker.
- When it comes to the vodka, almost any brand will do but for some fine quality, I choose Absolut given its fair pricing and comes in a lot of flavors.
- The same kinda goes with the espresso as long as its quality grade but I hear Starbucks is all the rave these days.
- As for the Irish cream, I mandatorily go with Baileys. I know not everyone will agree but Baileys is top quality for me and it's affordable which is why I love it.
- Don't shake the contents too long as the ice will melt too much and dilute the flavor. just 15 seconds max and you're done.
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces espresso, brewed or instant
- 1 cup ice
- 2 ounces Irish cream
- 1 pinch cocoa powder, optional
- Draw a ring of chocolate syrup around the inside of the glass near the top. Place in a freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- Place the ice into a shaker. Add the vodka, cooled espresso and Irish cream. Cover and shake for 15 seconds.
- Pour the Mudslide into the glass and serve. Optionally, you can dust the surface of the Mudslide with cocoa powder.
This cocktail contains half a cup of alcoholic substances consisting of a combination of vodka and whiskey. It is meant to be consumed only by those 21 years of age and older. Don't consume alcohol if you have a medical condition, D.U.Y. or any other issues with the substance. Please drink responsibly.
© 2020 Ryan Fanus