Simple Citrus Green Smoothie Recipe
This citrus green smoothie is easy and fun to make! Nutritious, packed with vitamins and nutrients, delicious citrus fruits, spinach and kale! This green smoothie recipe does not leave a kale taste in your mouth and is still very healthy.
Spinach or Kale?
This was, hands down, the best green smoothie I had made yet. I was in a mood for something more tropical or citrus tasting so I decided to get some appropriate fruits and create an amazing and healthy green smoothie.
I had to make this smoothie a couple of times in order to get the consistency and the taste just right but in the end it came out wonderful. Aside from the pineapple, peaches, and bananas I found that squeezing in the juice of half a lime also gave the smoothie a delicious citrus twist.
USDA Food Nutrient Lookup
- Foods List
You can search for more nutrient information on the USDA website.
So with all the talk about kale and spinach being super foods why are they on that list anyway? According to the USDA raw spinach is packed with calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, and zinc which are all important minerals our body needs. Spinach also contains a very long list of vitamins with the highest amounts being Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folate and many more.
Raw kale on the other hand also has its own long list of nutrients including the minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and zinc. The main vitamins found in kale are Vitamin C, Vitamin A, and Vitamin K.
How Vitamins Work In Your Body
- The Benefits Of Vitamins A, B1-B12, C, D, E, and K
Information about vitamins. Includes the benefits of vitamins, types of vitamins: A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D, E and vitamin K. See the main foods that contain these vitamins
Let's face, with this green smoothie you will definitely get your daily dose of Vitamin C (especially if you also add in some lime juice!) but aside from Vitamin C these fruit have their own healthy benefits which I will summarize for you.
Peaches - according to WebMD and Nutrition-and-you.com here's some facts about peaches:
- One peach is less than 70 calories
- It contains 3 grams of fiber
- Has Vitamin A
- Anti-oxidant benefits
Bananas - Nutrition-and-you.com tells us that:
- One banana has 7% of the daily recommended intake of fiber.
- Anti-oxidant source
- Good source of Vitamin B6 (28% of the recommended daily intake)
- Minerals like copper, magnesium which is essential for bone strengthening.
- Rich source of potassium (357 mg per 100 g, which is about one banana).
Pineapple - Whfoods.com tells us that:
- One cup of pineapple chunks is about 83 calories
- One cup has 77% of the daily recommended intake of manganese
- Source of Vitamin B1 and B6
- Source of copper
Citrus Green Smoothie Recipe
This recipe makes about two 7-8 oz. smoothies. I like to sometimes add a bit of lime juice (about half a lime squeezed in) to the mix to give it a more tropical taste. In addition, you can also add honey, sugar, or another sweetener of your choice if the final result is not sweet enough for you. However if you use canned fruits like I did here, I found that they were already sweet enough. For this version, I did not add any other sweeteners.
- 1 cup pineapple cubes, (with juice if canned)
- 1/2 cup sliced peaches, (with juice if canned)
- 1 bananna, (sliced)
- 1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt, (plain or flavored)
- 1 cup Kale or spinach
- Sweetener, (optional)
- 1/2 cup Ice
- Add the crushed ice, coconut milk, yogurt, pineapple, peaches, and banana to the blender. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Add the kale/spinach in and continue blending for 1 minute or until kale/spinach leaves aren't visible.
- Sample the smoothie and if it is not sweet enough add honey or other sweetener 1 tablespoon at a time and blend for 30 more seconds until desired sweetness is achieved.
- Serve cold immediately.
- Delicious Green Berry Smoothie Recipe
A simple delicious green smoothie recipe. A healthy berry green smoothie that does not taste like kale and is packed with healthy nutrients. Follow this recipe to create your own green smoothie.