- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Simple Onion Soup Recipe
Easy and Simple Onion Soup Recipe
This easy and simple onion soup recipe takes just about 15 minutes of prep time. It can simmer while you do other tasks, relax and read a book, or prepare sandwiches to accompany the meal. If you grow onions in your home garden or simply find a great sale on onions at the store, this recipe makes great use of them. It's tasty, inexpensive, and easy to make. If you don't have French onion soup crocks, serve in bowls and top with shredded cheese instead of sliced cheese.
- 4 cups onions, (use 2 large onions the size of baseballs or any other onions, chopped into small pieces)
- 3.5 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 small dinner rolls
- 4 slices of Swiss Cheese;, (you can also substitute 1 tablespoon shredded cheese)
- Peel and discard skin from onion. Slice off ends. Chop onion into small pieces until you have four cups of chopped onions.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large stock pot with lid. Once butter or margarine is melted, pour the four cups of chopped onions into the pot. Stir to coat all the onions with melted butter or margarine.
- Cook onions in butter over very low heat for five minutes.
- Add the sugar and flour. Stirring constantly, cook for another three to five minutes.
- Add water and bouillon cubes. Raise heat and bring to a boil. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Stir again. Cover the pot with the lid, tilting the lid to vent the steam. (You may want to turn on the exhaust fan in your kitchen as the scent of cooking onions can be strong!). Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Turn off heat when time is up.
- Place a small dinner roll in the bottom of each bowl or crock. Ladle soup over bread and cover with a slice of Swiss cheese or shredded cheese. Serve immediately when cheese melts.