Simple Pasta Dish - Spaghetti and Ground Turkey Recipe
Besides Chinese food, spaghetti is one of the favorite food in our family. Although occasionally we eat out at an Italian restaurant for its signature spaghetti, most often I like to make it at home so that I would have the control over what ingredients to use. There are many ways to make spaghetti, the one that we like the most is spaghetti with ground turkey. It was my husband's idea of using ground turkey instead of ground beef because ground turkey has a lot less fat which makes it healthier to consume. In order to save time, I usually use Ragu spaghetti sauces and they taste great. I also love to add different type of vegetables so that my family will have plenty of different type of vitamins and fibers they need. You can always substitute the vegetables to the ones you love in the following recipe. I find that spaghetti is a perfect meal for lunch and dinner. I usually would make extra during dinner time so that my kids would have enough for their next day lunch. I just need to warm up the spaghetti in the morning and put them in my kids' thermos food containers which would help keep the food warm for a few hours.
How do you like the Spaghetti and Ground Turkey Recipe?
- 1 lb Pasta
- 4 quarts Water
- 1 tb Salt
- 2 cans Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 Zucchini, Medium size
- 6 oz Mushroom
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Some Parmesan Cheese Powder, Optional
- Pour 1/2 cup of water in a small pot, then put the remaining 3 1/2 cups water in a large stock pot to boil the pasta. Turn on the heat for both pots.
- Wash the zucchini and dice it, then add to the small pot, cover the pot and let it boil for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat. Drain the excess liquid and set it aside.
- Put ground turkey in a medium size pot. Turn the heat to medium and stir the turkey often to ensure it is evenly cooked.
- If the water in the large pot has reached the boiling point, add in salt, then followed by the pasta. Cover the pot and let it boil for 8 - 10 minutes, or whatever the time the package suggests.
- Meanwhile, wash the mushrooms and slice them.
- After the turkey is fully cook, turn off the heat and drain the excess liquid.
- Put the turkey back to the stove and stir in spaghetti sauce and mushroom. Turn the heat back to medium high and stir often. Turn off the heat when the sauce starts to boil. Then add in the zucchini.
- Drain the spaghetti. Toss the spaghetti with olive oil and serve it with the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on the top if you like.
Suggestions for other Vegetables that Go Well with Spaghetti
Here are some of the other vegetables that we like to use when making spaghetti:
- Any type of squash