- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Simple, Quick and Healthy One Person Meal Recipe: Sautéed Sausage, Peppers and Eggplant with Tomatoes
Simple, Quick and Healthy
If your anything like me, you are strapped for time and as a result, find yourself reaching for fast or even frozen foods. Well my friends, I looked up after starting a busy new job and realized I had put on 40 lbs! That's right, 40 lbs. Needless to say, I was not only taken a back, but filled with the desire to do something about it. That's when I realized if I was going to beat this battle against myself, I was going to have to find some simple, quick and healthy recipes. That's when I started playing with whole foods, healthy pre-prepared meats, frozen and canned vegetables. What I discovered was a way to eat that has lead me to losing 14 lbs in the last two months. It is my pleasure to share my hidden jewel recipes with you! As an aside, my recipes work for me because they are one person meals that even work easily as a lunch item. They can easily be made larger for multiple eaters.
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 oz sliced sausage (Italian or smoked)
- 4 oz Chinese eggplant, sliced
- 4 oz sliced peppers, buying frozen is quick and easy
- garlic power, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
Simple Ingredients = Quick Cooking
When your meals are comprised of simple, tasty ingredients, meals tend to be quick and easy to prepare. Combining fresh vegetables, with prepared meats and frozen and/or canned ingredients is another way to make your meal both tasty and fast.
Chinese eggplant is long, thin and a beautiful shade of purple. A member of the squash family, this eggplant has a mild taste with a meaty, seedless texture. It is easy to cook and is often served sautéed or baked.
Frozen peppers have become one of my favorite short cuts. They are fresh, easy, flavorful and colorful. Using them cuts your prep time by 5-10 minutes which is crucial for a busy lifestyle. When choosing frozen peppers a recommend looking for varieties that offer red, yellow and red pepper. If you enjoy onions, you can also find a mix with onions.
Sausage is ground beef, pork, chicken, seafood or tofu with seasons wrapped in a skin. This ingredient is full of flavor and is easy to cook. When looking for speed of cooking and bold flavor, smoked sausage is a wonderful option. Here is a brief overview of sausage types:
· Cooked or Smoked sausage-These sausages are smoked and/or cooked and can be eaten cold or warm.
· Fresh sausage-These sausages are uncured and must be cooked before eaten.
· Dry sausages-These sausages are cured and dried. They are usually served cold.
· Vegetarian sausages-Vegetarian sausages are made of pressed tofu. Some are made using egg and therefore not vegan.
Canned tomatoes are peeled and cooked. They can be bought whole, halved or diced. An option that is quite helpful is pre-seasoned tomatoes. Spicy or Italian flavored tomatoes offer a lot of flavor. When cooking quick and simple this is a real staple!
- Cut your Chinese eggplants in 1/2 inch slices. Slice each piece in half.
- Cut your sausage in 1/2 inch slices.
- Spray your skillet with Pam or some other nonstick oil based spray.
- Sautee your sausage for about 5 minutes. If you are looking to cut the fat in this meal, strain your sausage, rinse pan and spray again with nonstick spray.
- Sautee your eggplant until it you’re the pieces are lightly cooked (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add sliced peppers and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly and let it cook another 5 minutes.