- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Simple and Easy Breakfast: Baked German Pancakes
Introducing: Another Alternative to Traditional Pancakes
Many years ago, some friends of mine who spent a great deal of time living in Amsterdam and Vienna hand wrote this recipe and gave me to me during a visit. Unlike traditional pancakes, these German pancakes are light and fluffy and have a nice sweet and mild citrus taste. This recipe is extremely simple and fast to make in the morning, and does not taste like your average pancake. I myself am not a huge fan of regular pancakes, so I have learned to make these alternatives. Also, these are things that were cooked in the house I grew up in, so they weren't too hard to come by! The unique shape of these German Pancakes makes them fun and easy to eat, as well as completely amusing to kids. I hope you enjoy them!
- 1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Some Powdered Sugar
- Some Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- While the oven in preheating, melt the butter or margarine in a 9 x 9 pan. Note: if you have 9" round cake pans available, those work just as fine and give the pancakes the round shape. If you choose to use cake pans, I have always done it with two separate ones and split the batter in two.
- In a small bowl, blend together the eggs, flour, milk, and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the pancake(s) with melted butter, and sprinkle powdered sugar all over it. This can best be accomplished using a sifter. Roll up the pancake(s) and drizzle more butter and powdered sugar. Then, dribble a small amount of lemon juice (about a teaspoon) on top.
- Cook in a 9" Cake pan for round pancakes
- Serve with fresh fruit
- Loosen the pancake carefully with a fork or spatula all the way around inside the pan before you take it out. Then it will slide onto a plate very easily.
- Also goes well with bacon or sausage, but the pancakes themselves are very filling!
- Yogurt is another good side condiment!